From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial port enumeration Ubuntu

Hello,

Was anyone able to get the Serial ports enumeration on VISA resource name running on UBUNTU?

I know that NI-Serial is not supported but I hope someone was able to get it working on Ubuntu maybe from other rpm porting.

KInd regards,
Waleed El-Badry, MSc., CLAD MCPD
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,854 Views)

What serial port enumeration are you talking about? VISA doesn't have that, Linux has no trivial way of finding all the device entries that are serial devices.

VISA does an attempt at that when starting up but only can do so much about it. Whatever VISA can find you can then "enumerate' with VISA Find Resources.

If that is not enough you will have to enumerate the /dev/... devices yourself, simply possible with the File IO functions, then query attributes of each to try to find some that give a hint if it is a real serial port, or just a virtual console, or a myriad of other devices.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(1,818 Views)

Thank you for your response,

The issue is in the ni-visa driver on UBUNTU. I can get the enumerated com ports on Windows using VISA resource name combo box. So yes, it is a trivial task on Windows. I am looking for the available com ports, not serial devices so my apology if my question confused you.

The problem is I am unable to install ni-visa as it is not supported in UBUNTU. I was looking for someone who was able to install it using any workaround.

KInd regards,
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,783 Views)

Have you seen this? https://www.ni.com/nl-nl/support/documentation/supplemental/18/downloading-and-installing-ni-driver-...

The 2020 download on this page contains the mentioned .deb package.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,779 Views)

Hi @rolfk,

I already installed that:

Screenshot from 2020-12-03 14-36-17.png

The problem is the ni-visa is not included in the UBUNTU Debian package. I was looking for someone who may found a workaround to install ni-visa on Ubuntu.

Screenshot from 2020-12-03 14-47-52.png

KInd regards,
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,755 Views)