LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial connection with Vantage Pro 2

Hi everybody ! 

I'm a french student (sorry for my english) and I'm working on an installation which collect datas (as voltage or current) from 2 solar panels and a wind turbine (thanks to a Keithley multimeter). And in the same time, I want to know the weather conditions and display them on Labview.

So, I've purchased a Davis Vantage Pro 2 Serial weather station,connect with my PC via a USB/Serial adapter.

Vernier provides a VI (attached with this post, avaible at http://www.vernier.com/engineering/ni-labview/downloads/weather-station/) to display the informations from the weather station but it doesn't work correctly. 

In fact, this VI works just one time (by pressing the execute button). The informations displayed are good without any error message. But if I'm trying to restart it, it doesn't work and there is not error message too. 

I've checked the connection port settings (com Port) and everything looks ok. And I did not find some help on forums or builder documentation.

I think the comPort is not closed properly, but I'm not sure and I don't know how I can solve this problem.

Any help would be fantastic! Thank you! 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 21
(5,575 Views)

@clementblt wrote:

Hi everybody ! 

I'm a french student (sorry for my english) and I'm working on an installation which collect datas (as voltage or current) from 2 solar panels and a wind turbine (thanks to a Keithley multimeter). And in the same time, I want to know the weather conditions and display them on Labview.

So, I've purchased a Davis Vantage Pro 2 Serial weather station,connect with my PC via a USB/Serial adapter.

Vernier provides a VI (attached with this post, avaible at http://www.vernier.com/engineering/ni-labview/downloads/weather-station/) to display the informations from the weather station but it doesn't work correctly. 

In fact, this VI works just one time (by pressing the execute button). The informations displayed are good without any error message. But if I'm trying to restart it, it doesn't work and there is not error message too. 

I've checked the connection port settings (com Port) and everything looks ok. And I did not find some help on forums or builder documentation.

I think the comPort is not closed properly, but I'm not sure and I don't know how I can solve this problem.

Any help would be fantastic! Thank you! 

All the subVIs are missing from this VI, so I can't really say what is going on.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 21
(5,541 Views)

Hello Bill,

The SubVI are included in the zip folder available with this link :  http://www.vernier.com/engineering/ni-labview/downloads/weather-station/

Clement 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 21
(5,534 Views)

It does not really matter since the VIs are just wrappers for DLL calls.  Sorry, but there is not much of anything we can do.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 21
(5,522 Views)

Unfortunately, this seems to make calls to a dll, and that dll is rather old (2009).  Maybe they have an updated dll?

Other than that, it's going to be hard to troubleshoot without having the actual weather station.  (But it might just entice me to buy one!!!)

Is it possible you are using a USB to serial adapter?  And if so, is it possible to hook it up directly to USB?  (I see there is a USB VI also.)

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 21
(5,515 Views)

I'm not an expert in programming but I understand the problem. 

I will try to connect the weather station via the USB port if it's possible. 

Thanks for your help! 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 21
(5,495 Views)

Do you have the Data Logger Option, the requirements call out for this.

If I have time I can try it at home tonight but I have to prepare to travel for tomorrow, I have a Vantage Pro2 wireless with the data logger.

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 21
(5,481 Views)

Hello AK2DM ! 

In France it's 10:10 PM and I have not access to the computer with Labview right now. It's a track to study and I will study that tomorrow morning. 

Thank you, I will keep you informed. 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 21
(5,474 Views)

Good luck!  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 21
(5,460 Views)

Well my friend it is 17:30 GMT in the Sonoran Desert and the temp is 33C.

I did not fare any better using the USB example. I ran it and got a valid data set and then the vi became unresponsive. LabVIEW appeard to be running but I could not abort or stop the vi.

After killing LabVIEW in task manager, there was a popup from the vi, something about resetting the Davis that could not be closed.

After that WeatherLink could not connect the Pro2, I had to power down the PC to restore comms in WeatherLink.

Make sure you read the Word document in the zip file, there are some suggestions and caveats (is that French)?

I have to prepare for a trip now, seeing we both had similar issues with serial and USB, read the Word file and maybe contact Venier.

Best of Luck

-AK2DM

"It’s the questions that drive us.”
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 21
(5,447 Views)