From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial comm, binary or text?

Solved!
Go to solution

Producer Consumer uses queues to pass the commands from one loop to another.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 13
(375 Views)

@Haddock01 wrote:

I looked at the examples. Nothing that surprise me. Thanx.

I forgot that the computer are Master and the periperials are slaves. The slaves never initate a comm with the application! It makes my life easier. That means that I need two loops. The first main-loop contains a statemachine that takes care of the overall process. The other loop contains a event which initiates a communication with a specific unit. This "comm-loop" gets commands from the main-loop. 

Is this model a way to deal with this? (perhaps I should start a new thread about this ..)

If you want to "constantly" talk with your device irregardless of the state machine logic, then this is a great route to go.  If not, then you won't be gaining much going to a second loop as it will become a synchronous communication scheme anyways (therefore might as well have the SPI communications in the state machine).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 13
(354 Views)

I will certainly take this into consideration.  Thanx!  

Why I thought about a specific loop for COMM was because I have two targets. I imagined a queue of commands and addresses that fed the comm-loop. (we are now speaking about I2C instead of SPI).

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 13
(347 Views)