LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending UDP data from LabView to an iPhone app

Hi to all,
I have developed an iPhone/iPad app called iDatanet which lets you listen to a stream of UDP data off a specified port with a very simple protocol:
iDataNet@var1;val1@var2;val2@var3;val3 (… etc …)

It works great, but I need some people to help me test it out and see if there are any bugs.
The app is currently free and can be downloaded at:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/idatanet/id618208907?ls=1&mt=8

In the app you can then configure various pages with displays showing the incoming pairs of variables (or labels) and values (which can be numbers or words).
I would be curious to hear if people have an idea of what applications this could have in real life?
I'm thinking, industry, universities, hostpitals... Any thing you can think of?
Thanks!

Cyrille

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,823 Views)

Hi Cyrille,

Welcome to the NI discussion forums! I played around with the app and it seems to work fairly smoothly, nice one! The red dot button doesn't appear to do anything but it seems like it should toggle listen mode. I can see this sort of application being useful where you have multiple different systems using different communications methods. Although If all data was coming from LabVIEW then I would recommend using the Data Dashboard instead.

I've attached an example LabVIEW program that matches the syntax of your app, all a user would need to do is enter port to send the data through and the name and value of each variable:

Regards,

Ben Clark
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,767 Views)

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. The iDataNet v2 is coming out soon and has a number of simplifactions which will make it even more intuitive (for example we got rid of the red button you mention).

Thanks for the VIs, that's very cool. I agree that the Data Dashboard is a much more complete alternative. But like you said I made this open protocol so that data could come from various sources.

Cheers,

Cyrille

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,744 Views)

Hi Cyrille,

I haven't had a chance to look at the app yet, but the open protocol to take in information from various sources into iOS systems is certainly a great idea! As far as uses go, there are many, anyone who can use a wifi and has monitoring, certainly my industry has uses for this kind of thing. So you have certainly piqued my interest.

Kathryn

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,740 Views)

Hi Kathryn,

Thanks! May I ask what industry you are involved in? There doesn't seem to be a 'private message' option on this forum but you can email me directly if you prefer (cyrille@sailingperformance.com).

Cyrille

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,720 Views)

is there a way for the iphone to send a message back the to sending application(iDataNet UDP Sender 2012.vi) on the PC?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,592 Views)