LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Send file to program file not program file (x86) when building 32 bit installer

How to Send file to "Program file" folder not "Program file(x86)" when building Installer using Labview 2015 32 bit

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,498 Views)

You don't.  If you are compiling an application in 32-bit, you install to Program Files (x86).  If you compile in 64-bit, then it goes into the Program Files.  But you must use LabVIEW 64-bit to build 64-bit applications.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 11
(3,485 Views)

You can set the default install directory in the install options, or you can just manually input the desired path when installing.
I misread the original post!

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,484 Views)

Use a 32bit Windows target! Or use LabVIEW 64bit.

Really, you shouldn't mess with that. On a 64bit Windows, the program file folder is reserved for 64bit applications, the x86 folder for 32bit applications.

Jens

Kudos are welcome...
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,483 Views)

You don't have to worry about it.  The 32-bit application will automatically get installed into the appropriate directory, depending on the "bit-ness" of the Windows operating system.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,477 Views)

I agree with the others but I want to ask, why do you want to do this?  Is there some requirement that you be installed in a certain location?  Is something hard coded in older software?  What is the reason for needing this, there might be other solutions.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,452 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

I agree with the others but I want to ask, why do you want to do this?  Is there some requirement that you be installed in a certain location?  Is something hard coded in older software?  What is the reason for needing this, there might be other solutions.

My assumption was that the OP had a 32-bit OS as a target and wondered how to make it go to "Program Files" instead of "Program Files (x86).

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,445 Views)

If your worries are about getting the program installed correctly into Program Files on a 32 bit Windows system, you don't need to worry. That automatically will work correctly.

If you want to install your 32 bit application into Program Files on a 64 bit system you can't do that. Windows actively forbids that. It doesn't like 32 bit executable files in the 64 bit reserved Program Files directory.

If you want to install another file than an executable there from your 32 bit installer, you most likely will have to add a batch file to your install that does the copy/move operation at the end of the installation to that location. The NI installer is not an installer environment that you can fully configure to all your possible strange desires, but provides a limited set of options in order to make its configuration in the Installer Builder manageable by an average to moderately advanced LabVIEW programmer.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,433 Views)

Thank you for all answers,

But i have SQL x64 Database and need to copy database files from 32 bit installer to MS SQL folder which under Program Files  subfolder. but I cant build 64 bit installer (Labview 64 bit does not have Database connectivity toolkit)

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,410 Views)

OK, that's a very unique problem.

Have you tried to add this path manually via "Add destination" under "Windows volume"?

Jens

Kudos are welcome...
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,396 Views)