LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Script Error when click on Find Example in LabVIEW Help

Whenever I click on Find Example anywhere in the LabVIEW help, I get the following script error and the example does not open.

"An error has occurred in the script on this page.  The value of the property "openProj" is null or undefined, not a Function object"

2018_11_01_14_50_10_Script_Error, Help when click on Find Example.png

It works fine on a different computer, so I located the example file and verified that it does exist on the problem computer. 

The separate Example Finder tool (Help->Fine Examples...) works ok (opens examples) as well.

^TeraTech.

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Check out this lengthy post of mostly complaints)
Message 1 of 69
(5,983 Views)

I get this error when I click on anything in the help file that requires a script, such as clicking the [+] button to add it to the block diagram.  Windows 10 LV 2012, LV 2015, LV 2016.  It just noticed it happening yesterday or something like that.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 2 of 69
(5,961 Views)

I've got the same problem here (running LabView 2014 Home on Windows 10)

Message 3 of 69
(5,942 Views)

Somehow I doesn't seem to get the script error if I open the labview help file "directly" from my file manager:

C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2014\help\lvhelp.chm

So, there seem to be something wrong when accessing the same help file through Labview

Message 4 of 69
(5,936 Views)

@ToKa1971 wrote:

Somehow I doesn't seem to get the script error if I open the labview help file "directly" from my file manager:

I am running LabVIEW 2017. If I run Help directly, C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2017\help\lvhelp.chm

Then click on a "Open Example" in the help I get "The webpage cannot be found" HTTP Error 404.

I also confirmed @Billko's observation that clicking the [+] Add or Find icon results in the same script error or webpage not found error.

^TeraTech.

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Check out this lengthy post of mostly complaints)
Message 5 of 69
(5,927 Views)

What happens if you click the 

Report a problem  link? 

Oh, yes! That could help the help file.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 6 of 69
(5,918 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

What happens if you click the 

Report a problem  link?

I have not seen a "Report a problem" link. Do you mean the "Submit feedback link?"  I have used that in past.  This seems to go to an NI documentation group not to an NI support group.  The Submit Feedback link opens a page in your default web browser.

^TeraTech.

Message 7 of 69
(5,916 Views)

I am seeing the same problem here. (LabVIEW 2018.0f2, Windows 10). 

Any button in the help:

• Add to block diagram
  • Find on the palette
  • Open Example
  • Find related examples

scripterrors.png

Message 8 of 69
(5,903 Views)

Wow - I'm at home and I tried the same thing, got the same results - on LV 2014 (Home Edition) + Windows 7!

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 9 of 69
(5,894 Views)

I actually noticed this a while ago, but wanted to investigate first. Thought it was something local since nobody else seems to mentioned it. 😮

• It does not seem to matter what the default browser is (tried Chrome, Edge,  IE).
  • Running as administrator does not help.
  • Disabling AV does not help.
  • Yes, thing work if I open the chm file from within windows explorer. 
  • It also works if I open help chm file using "control online help" (e.g. using <helpdir>\_LaunchHelp.vi) 
  • Either LabVIEW calls the help incorrectly or there is a permission issue somewhere.
Message 10 of 69
(5,886 Views)