From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen capture of the front panel automatically

I've got a VI that analyzes a data file and outputs a graph, some numbers/notes, and a pass/fail message to the front panel each time we run it. I want to be able to automatically save all that data into one easy-to-access file (no html) after running it, and ideally this would be accomplished by just capturing the screen of the front panel and saving it as a .jpg.

I've looked up how to do this on the forums and searching the web, but no solutions have come up. I've looked at the "Get Image" method, but that only lets me get the image of one object in the front panel, and not the entire front panel screen. I read something about referencing the front panel as an global, and inputting that into the "Get Image" method, but I can't get that to work and don't know if that's possible.

Is there a way to make a straightforward automatic screen capture of the VI front panel? How can I program that?  (Manually using the "pinrt screen" function off the keyboard and copying and pasting it won't be feasible for this application).

-- Thanks for the guidance

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,271 Views)
Hi pius,

for the front panel you should use the method 'Get Panel Image' (at least it's the name in LV6.1) - just open a reference to the vi and use an invoke node. Now you get an image of the 'whole' front panel to save it with standard picture functions!
Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 4
(4,263 Views)
No sure why you couldn't find a reference to it but there is the VI method Get Panel Image.

Message Edited by Dennis Knutson on 03-16-2007 07:42 AM

Message 3 of 4
(4,264 Views)

Thanks a lot, this worked. 

The problem I had was that I couldn't find "Get Panel Image" in the function search, just "Get Image", and I had to create the "Open VI Reference" first and create the method from there.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,233 Views)