LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen Lock up

Dear Sirs.

As it seem, i´m having same problem described. I work with LV8.0 Full Version and all of my applications uses Tab Controls. Since a week ago, all applications is blocking a part of the screen when i start Run Mode. When i minimize and maximize the window is actualized. At moment i do not discover the reason for this because the system was operating normally until the past week. I´m believing that this could be happening after some actualization of Windows XP but i´m not sure.

Please, if you have an idea contact me.

Maurício Stelita Ferreira

Automation Dept - NOVOCELL Energy Systems.

mauricio@novocell-energias.com.br

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 25
(819 Views)

Ching,

Thanks for offering to take a look.  I put a TON of the code on the chopping block, but still am able to reproduce the error.  Now, if you run the program, switch to the MGC-TESS tab and change the value.  The program will lock up.  I have traced the problem to the event structure.  The confusing part is that the loop that the event structure is in should not be executing or anything.  If I delete the value change event from the structure, the program no longer locks up.  I have included the VI and a picture of the offending block diagram.

Dan

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 25
(811 Views)

Dan:

I looked through your code and after playing with it for a while, I realized that the issue is with the first block of your diagram. When I disabled everything up to the frame sequence that contains your while loop, everything worked fine. With the entire code, the program locks at the Merge Errors.vi. Please let me know if you see the same behavior on your end.

Regards,

Rudi N.

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 25
(782 Views)

That doesn't sound exactly like what I'm experiencing.  Firstly, what do you mean by disabling "everything up to the frame sequence that contains your while loop"?  What are you disabling?  I disabled the first frame in the sequence with no change, but I suspect that's not what you mean.  Please advise.

Also, as attached in the prior post, my software hits the first frame of the sequence, switching the tab to the COMMS SETUP tab.  Then I enter the loop.  With "Highlight Execution" on, I can watch the loop loop with data being passed to the terminals every time.  On the front panel, if I change tabs and change the value of MESSAGE 2, then the front panel freezes.  No activity is possible (with the exception of things like the abort button, etc.).  If I switch back to the block diagram, however, I the loop happily continuing along its merry way as if it was unaware that the front panel was locked up.

I went back through my intermediate course training materials about event structures and found the "Lock front panel until the event case for this event completes" checkbox.  I unchecked it in the event diagram in the second while loop and....TAHDAH!  It fixed the freezing issue, proving to me that the event diagram is the little monkey at the center of the problem.

Now my question is...why?  Why is the event structure trapping events when it is all the way on the other side of the block diagram in a loop that doesn't have enough inputs to execute yet?  Is leaving this box unchecked going to screw up the operation or user interface in any way?

Dan

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 25
(776 Views)
Dan:

Even unchecking "Lock front panel until the event case for this event completes" does not resolve the problem on my end, I had tried it before. Do the following to verify it: Wire the iteration (i) terminal of the while to the border of the event structure and create an indicator for it inside the "Message 2: Value Change" event case. If you change the value of  Message2, you will see that the indicator does not update even after a few iterations.

What I meant by disable is for you to use Diagram Disable Structure to "comment out" part of your code.
Let me know what you find.

Thanks,
Rudi N.
0 Kudos
Message 25 of 25
(760 Views)