From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving data in remote panel

Hi, the senario is this,
I have create a VI that measure audio level from my multimeter(HP34401) through GPIB. I have no problem creating a save button so as to let the user save the data in a file into my pc. The problem is this : I pupblish using web publisher to serve as a remote panel. When i use another pc to run this remote vi, everything runs okay except that it does not prompt me "save file as" dialog. Well my question is how can i save my data in remote panel? My level of creating a save vi is very simple so i do not know the more advanced type of saving data in remote panel. Pls help.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,171 Views)
The following is an excerpt from the Labview 7.0 User Manual, page 18-15 (chapter on remote panel limitations):
"Additionally, some VIs might not work exactly the same way from a remote
computer as they do when run locally. ActiveX controls embedded on a
front panel do not display on a remote client because they draw and operate
almost completely independent of LabVIEW. If a VI presents the standard
file dialog box, the controller receives an error because you cannot browse
a file system remotely. Also, the browse button of a path control is disabled
in remote panels."

So I think it is the file dialog box and not the saving of the file which causes the problem in your case. In fact, I successfully use in one of my programs a 'Save to file' procedure
, but the filename and directory are generated automatically and no dialog is used.

A solution in your case could be to read the file/directory info programmatically in the VI and present it to the (remote) user within a labview (and not OS) dialog box.
Admittedly, a quite complex solution...

If anybody else knows a simpler solution, I am also interested int it...

-Franz
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,169 Views)
Hmm.... Don't reall quite get what u mean. Are u saying that make a front panel that user will key in the file name himself without using dialog. Have not try out anyway.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,169 Views)
That's what I tried to say: When you avoid to present the file dialog of the operating system the very process of saving to or reading from a file will work with remote panels. As I said, I do this in one of my programs where the filename is contructed programmatically and no user input is required. If you need a user input, this should be done by either direct typing into a control or by using a dialog box written in Labview, but not by the usual file dialog box.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,169 Views)
I am facing the same problem same as Jackolin is facing.
Well, In my case,

I have used "File Path Control" to bring up the File Dialog. & it works. I mean the "Choose File" dialog pops up.
However, after I select a file to save the data, it tries to search the path in the server. If the path exists it saves the data in the file on the server. Whereas I want & expect the data to be saved on the local machine.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,912 Views)

Hey Fahlers, how did u save the data in the file on the remote computer?

In my case even if I hard code the path in the VI, and try to access it as a Remote Panel, still it saves the data on the server machine & not on the remote machine.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,912 Views)
The problem is that when viewing the front panel by way of a remote web server, the VI is still running on the server and within the server's environment.  So if you try to save to the c:\ drive, it is the server's C:\drive you are referring to, not your remote PC's.  You would have to find a way to save the file by way of a named network path such as \\ my remote pc \c\ ....  (spaces added so it wouldn't show up as a link).  Of course this path will have to be shared so that the server PC can access it. 
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,900 Views)