From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Save As self reference instance

Hello!

First of all, thank you everyone for your posts and answers, they have helped me a lot many times in the past.

I'm coming to you because I'm having a strange issue which I don't understand, and I haven't been able to find any related information.

It happens when I'm trying to "Save As" some VIs, apparently randomly (at least, I haven't seen any pattern): the VI I'm trying to make a copy of or rename is referencing to some instances of itself in memory.

labview_instances.png

Is this normal behavior? What do these instances refer to? What are they?

I have tried closing and opening LabView, PC restart, removing ".ini" LabView config file, but once they appear, they never go out.

I'm using LabView 17.0 f2 32 bits on Windows 8.1 64 bits.

Thank you in advance!

Miguel

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,766 Views)

Hi miguel,

is this a reentrant VI?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(1,757 Views)

Hi GerdW,

Thank you for the fast response!

It's non-reentrant (standard VI properties). Actually, checking up on another VI which had the same issue, I think I may have found the culprit.

Since this was a much smaller VI, I started removing code until the effect disappeared. First all the code, then by parts.. and the only remaining block which produced the same effect was the "Stall Data Flow VI".

I then checked different times, and the numer of self referenced instances corresponded to the number of times this block was on the diagram.

Could someone confirm this? Is this expected?
I've noticed this is a ".vim"; can this explain it?

Regards,

Miguel

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,733 Views)