LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SUB VI

I have been having trouble with Sub Vis on my computer. I am well aware of how to create a Sub Vi and I have double checked that I am creating it correctly. However whenever I attempt to put the Sub Vi in another VI it does not work. I know you right click on the block diagram then under the functions you should be able to press "select Vi" and it should show up however when I press this it does nothing (the sub vi does not show up at all). Like I said I know I am creating the Sub VI correctly I think it might me some sort of setting that I need to change but I'm really not sure. I would really appreciate help with this. BTW I a running Labview 2014 on a windows 8 laptop.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,605 Views)

Are you being presented with a file dialog box?  That is where you should select the VI.  It should then "stick" to the cursor until you click on the block diagram.  It will place the VI as a subVI at the cursor location.

Other ways to accomplish this:

From Windows Explorer:

Drag the file directly from Windows Explorer to the block diagram or

Copy from Windows Explorer, paste to the block diagram.

From Project Explorer:

Same as above, except from Project Explorer, not Windows Explorer.

With subVI open:

Drag Icon from front panel of the subVI to the block diagram of the main VI.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,597 Views)

Yeah sorry I forgot to mention that it asks to browse for the SUB VI however after I would find and select the Sub VI it wouldn't show up. 

I tried dragging it straight onto the VI like you mentioned and that seemed to actually work. I guess I'll be doing it that way for now on.

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,587 Views)

Maybe if you clicked the "open" button instead of double-clicking on the file?  As a rule for dialog boxes, I select the equivalent button for double-click because I don't want to confuse the operating system any more than it already is.  😉

besides, I'm not so coordinated with mouse clicks and my mouse tends to move in between clicks. 

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,583 Views)

Yeah I tried both double clicking and pressing open along with many other things but it just wouldn't work I really dont know why.

I think I should fine though with just draging it on like you said 🙂

Message 5 of 5
(2,572 Views)