LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SR830 data buffer

I'm using the LABVIEW driver for the SR830 lock-in amplifier and trying to use the data buffer, but I'm having a problem with it.  The buffer seems to be recording the correct number of points, but it returns a 0 for all points greater than ~2880 (see the attached file).  Does this sound like a problem with LABVIEW or the SR830?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,300 Views)

That would be another SRS Feature designed to remove your hair in large chunks.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,296 Views)

I have used the SR830 buffer to its "full potential" without any problems; without seeing your program it is difficult to acertain the problem.

Try the program at the bottom of the following link, http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Can-driver-for-SR830-and-SR844-be-used-interchangeably/m-p/1702554#M... (The last entry in the discussion)

I wrote it for the SR830 and have used it without problems; I am no LabVIEW expert, but it may help you. Put context help on to read what the buttons do on the front panel.

Cheers,

mcduff

Message 3 of 10
(3,293 Views)

Jeff - Do you know what the "feature" is or how I get rid of it?  It's definitely doing what you said it would.

McDuff - Thanks, but apparently I'm a verison behind so I can't open your program.  I'm using the VI that I got from the NI page here.  It doesn't seem to be doing the trick, though.  When you made yours did you start with that one or from scratch?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,285 Views)

There is an older version on that same discussion page.

Although, I have not had problems with it, it is not as efficient as the newer version. I believe the old version is 8.2.

Note when converting to a higher version, some string indicators become black, just use the white paint brush to get rid of this.

mcduff

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,279 Views)

One final suggestion.

Check the VISA Read timeout on the program you are using. The output buffer for the SR830 is only 256 characters, I think, downloading data from it is extremely slow. It may possible that the VISA read function is reaching its timeout limit before all of the data has been downloaded.

mcduff

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,271 Views)

The version 6.5big VI seems to work fine.  I'll have to do some more tests with it tomorrow.

Thanks a ton!  I don't know why the other VI doesn't work, but I'm glad this one does.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,270 Views)

Glad it helped.

Let me know if you have any problems with the program. (Since I wrote it a long time ago I may remember enough to help.)

Cheers,

mcduff

Message 8 of 10
(3,265 Views)

McDuff,

Do you know a quick way to remove the prompt to press "Enter" ?  I want to use as a subVI, so I'd like to be able to just input the values and let it run without having to manually start the scan.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,251 Views)

Nevermind,

I found a few ways to do it easily.  Thanks again for everything.  I'll tell you how it works out when I'm done.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,247 Views)