From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL query for empty string

Solved!
Go to solution

I am trying to execute the following SQl query, SELECT * FROM Failure WHERE ID = '123' AND RepairAction = ' ';, using the DB Tools Execute Query.vi. This query never finds the record in my database. My database contains a record where the ID filed contains the value of '123' and the RepairAction field is an empty string. If I remove the 'AND RepairAction ' ';' text from my query statement, the record is found. I believe my problem is that I am not using the correct syntax to describe and empty string. I have tried the following: '', ' ', "", " ", and NULL as empty string arguments, and none of these work.

I was hoping someone might be able to tell me what the correct syntax is for an empty string or if there is another approach I need to take.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Jim

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(23,041 Views)

Hi,

While creating your table "Failure", was the column "ID" delclared as intiger or varchar? If it is intiger and you use '123' , it wont return the results. You will have to try without the inverted comas ' '.

Regards,

Nitzz

(Giver Kudos to good Answers, Mark it as a solution if your problem is Solved;))

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(23,036 Views)

Hi there Jim,

you could try modifying your command just a little bit. Try this:

...AND RepairAction is null;

It works for me in Oracle.

Cheers,

Cerati

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(22,965 Views)

The column ID is varchar. As previously stated the query works when I leave out the RepairAction search. So I think the problem is with my syntax for declaring an empty string in the SQL query.

Thank you,

Jim

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(22,962 Views)

Hi Cerati,

I tried your suggestion, null, and still did not return a record.

Thank you. I appreciate your assistance.

Jim

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(22,957 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author GeekGrok

Jim,

Just to be sure, did you use "is" instead of " = " in that command ?

That makes the whole difference in that command.

Cerati

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(22,955 Views)

Useful SQL resource (including IS NULL)

http://www.w3schools.com/sql/sql_null_values.asp

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(22,950 Views)

Cerati,

"is" is the solution. Thank you for pointing out this 'minor' detail. I had initially tested you suggestion using the "=". When I replaced this with "is" per your follow up, the record was read.

Thank you again,

JimSmiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(22,944 Views)

Okey, I'm glad it worked for you as well Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Cerati

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(22,941 Views)