LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCTL & NI9401: Basic Questions

Hy,

i got some questions about the execution time of the SCTL with I/O of the 9401 Module.

E.g.: I got an quad encoder, to read in the signals i use a sctl with a 40Mhz clock.

The sctl will execute the code inside within one tick (25ns), but now i saw in the spec. sheet that the I/O Input of the 9401 Module got an latency of 100ns.

What does that mean regarding to my sctl and the input states of my modul?

drehgeber_quad.jpg

Thanks a lot.

Greetings,

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,877 Views)

latency is just a delay.  It means that it takes 4 cycles for your measurment to get to your FPGA.  It will not affect your code at all.  All it means is that the first 4 iterations will be using default data.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,871 Views)

So it means that i get every fourth execution of the SCTL the current value of my Input?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,864 Views)

No.  It just means that the true level you are measuring is from 100ns ago.  It doesn't matter what iteration you are on.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,856 Views)

Mhh...

I'm a little bit confused.

Its clear for me that the execution of the sctl will finish within one tick (25ns).

My hardware got an delay of 100ns. If my signal looks like that:

fhf.png

Is it right that all further signal will be acquired with an total delay of 100ns?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,803 Views)

Hey,,

Yes, that's right, your incoming signal will look like this. It's link when you use pipelining in a SCTL, although you will get an output every tick, it will we corresponding to an input that happend several cycles ago.

But you should not forget considering the maximum switching frequnecy. A assume the signal you've drawn is just for explaination purposes.If you gonna have more than 2 active input channes on your NI 9401, you will be limmited to 16 MHz...

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,722 Views)