LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCC-AI03, can I use this module to measure current?

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a couple SCC-AI03 module that read voltages but I have some pressure transducers that have current readings, will it be possible to use the SCC-AI03 to read current values?

Thank you,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,537 Views)

I'd assume you could just use a shunt resistor. Check the how to guide: http://www.ni.com/tutorial/7114/en/

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,533 Views)

Hello mike-o-tronic,

I have a module that reads 4-20 mA with an output of 0-10V, do you know what kind of shunt do i need to make this work? 

Thank you again,

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,526 Views)

My bad! I thought you had a current output and a voltage input. I'm not sure if you could measure voltage with a current input. I'm also not sure if the SCC-AI03 would work with a current input. Not that I have any experience with that module but judging from the manual.

Message 4 of 8
(2,505 Views)

@mike-o-tronic wrote:

My bad! I thought you had a current output and a voltage input. I'm not sure if you could measure voltage with a current input. I'm also not sure if the SCC-AI03 would work with a current input. Not that I have any experience with that module but judging from the manual.

That's because he said in the first message he had AI_03 module which read voltage (it does +/- 10V) with a transducer that has current "readings" (which doesn't make sense as a phrase.  A transducer OUTPUTS a signal.

Now the last message is confusing because it says "I have a module that reads 4-20 mA with an output of 0-10V".  An SCC module can be an analog input or output (and be voltage or current) but it can't input AND output.    So if he has a module that reads current, then it can't be an SCC-AI03.

Clarification is needed.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,496 Views)

Indeed clarification is needed. Sorry for all the confusion. Here is the situation: 

I have a pressure transducer that outputs 4-20 mA, then I have some modules models SCC-AI03 that reads analog inputs in voltage (0 to 10V) and I was wondering if I can use the SCC-AI03 to read my pressure transducer that outputs a signal in Amps. 

Thank you,

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,484 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author OJ1990

Yes.  Put a 500 ohm resistor across AI+ and AI-.  That allows you to measure the voltage drop across that resistor..  For 20 mA, voltage drop is 10V.  For 4 mA, the drop is 2 V.  Now you've converted your 4-20 mA signal to a 2-10V signal.   Basic electronics.

Message 7 of 8
(2,479 Views)

Thank you all for the help!!! Greatly appreciate it.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,473 Views)