From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Runtime engine will not uninstall

Hi,

Recently back into some LV development, picking up someone else's work.

We have LV2011 installed.  In my project settings for the installer, under 'additional installers', the NI LV runtime engine ->2012<- was selected.  Upon a build attempt, I got an error saying the RTE2012 was not installed on my machine, so I down loaded, installed, built.

After distributing to a test machine and installing, when I start my app, I get an error that NI LV RTE ->2011<- is required.  So whatever, I go to my build machine and uninstall RTE2012 and attempt to install RTE2011.  I get an error saying that RTE2011 will not install since there's a more recent RTE installed.

So I rebuilt the installer w/o any additional installers (left all RTEs out).  I cleaned out my test machine, installed my app (which doesn't have an RTE) and installed RTE2011 independently and things seemed to work fine.

Build machine is win7, test machine is XP.

Help!

Thanks,

-Chris

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,705 Views)

Hi Chris,

The LabVIEW RTEs can be (and often are) installed in parallel, and applications compiled for one will not run using the other.

If your application is built in the 2011 development environment, you'll need to include the 2011 RTE installer in your installer build unless your targets already have the 2011 engine installed.  The 2012 engine won't be used unless you've got applications written in 2012.

As for the "more recent installation" error, as far as I know you should only see this if there is a newer patch version of the RTE installed (2011 f2 and you're attempting to install the 2011 f1 RTE, for example). 

Regards,

Tom L.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,692 Views)

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the response.  My issue is that there seems to be some remnants of the RTE 2012 left on my build machine after I go thru Windows 7 Remove Software operation.  RTE2012 is removed and no longer appears in my software list, but when I try to install RTE2011, I get a messages saying that a newer version is already installed.

There's history point to MSIBLAST to remove NI software but I cannot find the utility on the web (and NI doesn't recommend using the software).  I attempted to use Revo uninstaller pro but this utility want to remove all of the apps associated w/National Instruments (or that was the impression I got).

I had a thought that perhaps the RTE2012 installer installs more than the labview RTE and perhaps I need to back these out as well but none of the RTE installer information details the actual software that is installed.

-Chris

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,654 Views)

@checkeraz69 wrote:

RTE2012 is removed and no longer appears in my software list, but when I try to install RTE2011, I get a messages saying that a newer version is already installed.

This does not make sense, since you can install the run-time 2012 followed by run-time 2011 and both will install.

You are saying that this is on the "build machine". Does it have LabVIEW 2012 installed? The build machine does not need any runtime engines, just the target machine.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,639 Views)

Agreed the behavior is perplexing.  When I attempt to install RTE2011 on my build machine, I get the behavior mentioned before: 'will not install since a later version of the RTE is already installed'.

The build machine has labview2011 installed (there's definitely some weirdness here but I need to coord w/the folks who did the install to get more detail) but when I went to do the install distribution, the builder indicated that I needed RTE2012 (yes 2012) installed.

I need the RTE installed on the build machine since I want to include the RTE in my install distribution.

Thanks for your help,

-Chris

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,621 Views)

checkeraz69 wrote:

I need the RTE installed on the build machine since I want to include the RTE in my install distribution.

It should already be there as part of the LabVIEW installation. Do you mean it does not show up under additional installer already? Maybe you should replair the LabVIEW 2011 installation. Installing the runtime engine on a development machine is never needed in my experience.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,617 Views)

Yes, that's correct: the RTE2011 is not an installed component (evidenced by the fact that when I check the 'additional installations' for RTE2011 and then go to build the distribution, I get a popup complaining that the RTE2011 is not installed).

I think a repair/reinstall of the entire package is in order.  Problem I'm facing (and no one here can really help solve it) is that the machine is over seas and I'm not.   Horray offshoring ;(.

-Chris

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,581 Views)
I believe the pop-up is telling you that you don't have the installer for the run-time. Not that the actual run-time is missing.
Message 8 of 8
(3,579 Views)