LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Run software without Labview

Solved!
Go to solution
I have generated a software from labview. It runs fine on my PC with labview installed. Now I need to run this software on anonther PC without labview.I generate installation package and try to run it. In my application,I read and write some parameters in ini files,using relative path which is splitted once in test environment and twice in running environment. The ini files are also included when I generate installation package.The software stops when it tries to read parameters.I guess it is caused by the file path. Only a guess. Can anyone help?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(2,653 Views)

Assuming your installer also installs the LV Runtime it shouldn't be that, even though it's a quite common problem.

Have you tried the .exe on your computer? I'd assume you'll get the same problem there.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(2,644 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author papigo

Hi papigo,

The software stops when it tries to read parameters.I guess it is caused by the file path. Only a guess. Can anyone help?

You can help yourself once you include some error logging in your VI/exe: have it log (or just display in a dialog) which path it tries to read those files!

using relative path which is splitted once in test environment and twice in running environment.

Why do you need to do that for a relative path?

Using the AppDir constant might help, too…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(2,635 Views)
yes.The same problem. Application runs ok. Application install package failed. Any idea?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(2,633 Views)

Having it fail on your computer is a good thing, that makes bug searching easier. As Gerd wrote, have the program Show the path it's looking for, e.g. through a One button dialog and double check that the path is correct and that the file is actually there. That's usually where it fails, either in the path building or missing to include the file in the installer.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,601 Views)

If you use paths relative to the program, you need to make sure to read all this.

@papigo wrote:
The software stops when it tries to read parameters.I guess it is caused by the file path. Only a guess. Can anyone help?

I am not even sure what "stops" means (Stalls? Stops running? error popup? Becomes unresponsive? etc.) In any case, ensure that you do proper error handling and switch behavior according to error conditions. The code needs to keep running, but must inform the user about a problem in some way.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(2,580 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

If you use paths relative to the program, you need to make sure to read all this.

@papigo wrote:

I am not even sure what "stops" means (Stalls? Stops running? error popup? Becomes unresponsive? etc.) In any case, ensure that you do proper error handling and switch behavior according to error conditions. The code needs to keep running, but must inform the user about a problem in some way.

The progam "Stops"...is that not enough information to find the problem?  

Maybe the developer should have added some basic error handler.;D 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(2,560 Views)

Thank you all.Inspired by you all,after a few tests,I find where my problem is. When I generate my install packacge,I  forget to add ini files from source to target. As a result,software is installed without ini files. Of course it can‘t read the files.A stupid mistake.A shame.Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,527 Views)

@papigo wrote:

Thank you all.Inspired by you all,after a few tests,I find where my problem is. When I generate my install packacge,I  forget to add ini files from source to target. As a result,software is installed without ini files. Of course it can‘t read the files.A stupid mistake.A shame.Smiley Sad

We all made similar mistakes once....glad we could help. 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(2,521 Views)

Not every reply in this thread should qualify as a solution.  Only mark the one or two messages that actually would be a solution.

If you to give someone thanks for being helpful, then use the Kudo button.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,473 Views)