LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Run a LabView 2012 executable without installing RTE.

I have a thumbdrive with a LabView executable that is ready to run.  I want to be able to run this executable on different PC's without having to install the Run Time Engine on each machine.  What dll do I need to have in the same directories as the executable so I can run the executable without actually installing the Run Time Engine.  Thanks in advance.

Sebastian

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,815 Views)

There is no 'Portable' version of LabVIEW runtime availble... Atleast I've not heard of it...!!

but you can always try to create your own Portable version of LabVIEW runtime.

Check here similar discussion.

I am not allergic to Kudos, in fact I love Kudos.

Make your LabVIEW experience more CONVENIENT.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,813 Views)

You can't.  You need to install the run-time engine.

The .exe file does not contain all the libraries it needs to run.  Just like executables based on C or Visual Basic or .NET don't contain all the assemblies and rely on files that are already installed as a part of the Windows operating system.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,811 Views)

Like the others said, there's no official way of doing this.

That said, the answer to your actual question is "lvrt.dll" and some of the others in the same folder (I don't remember offhand which folder it was. Look for it yourself). Note that there are some caveats:

1. The last time I did something like this was around LV 7.0. I didn't check in later versions, but I seem to recall someone who usually knows what he's talking about saying that it doesn't work at some point after 8.0.
  2. Even if it does still work, this will only support things which are in those DLLs and don't have any other dependencies. That means things like VISA, DAQmx, other drivers and possibly even some of the display elements which are based on MESA for rendering or on other external resources.
  3. It obviously won't be supported in any way.

(3,773 Views)

If this is important for you, you should vote for this idea. I did. 😄

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,764 Views)