cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Run a LV-app on remote computer

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

I am trying to setup a LabVIEW-App running as a server in our LAN. I could add this as a service in the autostart of the respective machine. I would, however, prefer to have a method for starting the respective app from a different LV (vi or exe) from elsewhere in the LAN. Meaning the prospective clients can start the server if it is not yet running.

Does anyone have an idea? Have searched the examples and the internet for no results.

TIA!

Greetings from Germany!

--

LuI

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,321 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author LuI

This question comes up a lot.  And I always reccomend PsTools from SysInternals:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896649.aspx

They are a free set of command line utilities.  One of the utilities is PsExec which can be used to launch EXEs on remote machines.

NOTE:  Be aware that setting up your remote app as an "NT Service" is a bit more complex.  If you do actually manage to set it up as a "service", you would actually use a different tool (PsService) to launch a service on a remote machine.  Either one will do the job.

http://www.medicollector.com
Message 2 of 5
(3,305 Views)

@josborne wrote:

This question comes up a lot.  And I always reccomend PsTools from SysInternals:

Thank you very much! I am aware of PsTools and should have remembered it. Its probably a question of directed thinking - i was fixed for a pure LV solution.

Neither found refs to this Q when googling nor when searching the ni-forums. Thx again!

Greetings from Germany!
--
Uwe

Message 3 of 5
(3,296 Views)

I know this is an older post and it has already been marked as answered. I stumbled upon it looking for something else. But for a pure LV solution just use vi server.

Capture.PNG

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

Message 4 of 5
(3,198 Views)

@SteveChandler wrote:

I know this is an older post and it has already been marked as answered. I stumbled upon it looking for something else. But for a pure LV solution just use vi server.

Steve,

thx for mentioning this. But AFAIK (or better 'as I understand') this it works for VIs only, not for LV-apps. But I have not really tried this, just assume it. So maybe I 'ass U & Me' 😉

I found about the PS-Tools solution and it works perfectly.

Greetings from Germany!
--
Uwe

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,173 Views)