LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Route started event from generator to scope via backplane

Solved!
Go to solution

I want my digitizer to start sampling on "started event" coming from my waveform generator PXI-5441.

PXIe-5172 oscilloscope has RTSI interface. Does that mean it can't listen to PXI-Trigger signals on backplane? If not: What is the recommended way of hardware triggering my scope from a generator event without using front PFI connectors.

I think my generator has no RTSI interface.

I export my event to signal like in attached screenshot.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(994 Views)

Definitely possible, this is one way to do it.

santo_13_1-1643487864032.png

Please share more details about the PXI chassis and the slots of these two instruments to decide if you would need additional code.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(963 Views)

Chassis PXIe-1095

Trigger Bus 1 : 1-6 Dynamic

Trigger Bus 2 : 7-12 Dynamic

Generator Slot 9 H

Scope Slot 5 

Regarding your example: I think my generator doesn‘t have RTSI interface. You got that?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(946 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Quiztus2

Yes, I do agree that the PXI SCOPE does not have RTSI but I believe it will be equivalent to PXI_TRIGx based on what I observe for FGen.

As per the Scope spec, it does support PXI_TRIG0-6 which maps to RTSI0-6 (if my understanding is correct)

santo_13_3-1643557341568.png

Historically, these PXI instruments were PCI based and hence the driver still calls them RTSI but so far all the instruments I have seen directly map the RTSI number to PXI_TRIG number for PCI/e and PXI/e counterparts.

Now, both your instruments are part of different PXI busses and you need to configure the PXI bridge to route the PXI_TRIG line across.

santo_13_0-1643556907211.png

Since FGen will be the trigger source, configure the PXI_TRIGx as away from Bus 2 in the triggers pane of the PXIe-1095 chassis in NI MAX, this would bridge the PXI_TRIGx line from away from Bus 2 into Bus 1 and 3.

santo_13_2-1643557158784.png

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA03q000000YIIVCA4&l=en-US

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
Message 4 of 6
(931 Views)

Hey, I am not sure if it works now.

I followed your instructions and I receive a graph. I expect the trigger at around 0 ms. The scope shows the waveform I expect after 0ms.  So are those samplings before 0 ms some kind of pretrigger samples? 

pretriggered_samples.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(910 Views)

Ok, I had to adjust the reference position in horizontal timing.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(901 Views)