LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote control of non programmable toggle switches.

I have several runboxes with a variety of toggle switches in different configurations. Example: http://www.newark.com/multicomp/1ms1t1b5m1qe/switch-toggle-spdt-5a-250v/dp/98K4965?MER=BN-EN-PDP-98K...

I would like to be able to control them using labview without having to open/modify the runboxes and noticed the screw threads on top would allow mounting something above. Does anyone know of a readily available cots device that could controll them?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,618 Views)

Anything I could think of would be an unreliable kludge.  I think the best option is to modify the box (or build a new one).

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,589 Views)

I have worked on a lot of strange remote control devices over the years but have never seen anything designed to operate small toggle switches.  Sometimes you can get away with small solenoids to operate existing pushbuttons, but the mechanical design required to get it to work with toggle switches without breaking them would be a nightmare.

I think you would be better off with a new box using appropriately rated DPDT relays.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,575 Views)

Steve_Block wrote:

I would like to be able to control them using labview without having to open/modify the runboxes and noticed the screw threads on top would allow mounting something above. Does anyone know of a readily available cots device that could controll them?

The screw threads are there for the nut that secures the body of the switch to the front panel when you pass the lever through the hole from the back side.

I've never seen anything else attached to a toggle switch.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,557 Views)

@johnsold wrote:

I have worked on a lot of strange remote control devices over the years but have never seen anything designed to operate small toggle switches.  Sometimes you can get away with small solenoids to operate existing pushbuttons, but the mechanical design required to get it to work with toggle switches without breaking them would be a nightmare.

I think you would be better off with a new box using appropriately rated DPDT relays.

Lynn

I agree.  Also, when it comes down to it, redesigning the box will end up being more cost-effective.  Too many moving parts equals a PITA to maintain.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,544 Views)

Unfortunately I'm in a position where the box is not mine so modification is not an option.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,508 Views)

@Steve_Block wrote:

Unfortunately I'm in a position where the box is not mine so modification is not an option.

Then design your own.  Seriously.  You are not, in any way, shape or form, saving money anywhere.  On the other hand, I can see this project quickly hemorhaging money.  With your proposed approach, I can see constantly breaking switches and solenoids.  This thing will also be amazingly expensive to build with all the custom moving parts and precision brackets to be made; there will be no COTS solution.  Compare this to maybe using a slightly modified version of the existing plans.  Maybe drill holes to mount the relays.  A hole for the wiring for the DIO. 

You'll already have to draw up designs for the new monstrosity proposed, so you may as well design a bulletproof solution, instead.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,488 Views)

I'm absolutely unable to touch the runbox from the inside and negative responses really don't help me. If anyone has any postitive suggestions, I welcome them. I'm not the only one who could benefit from a simple cots solution of this nature if one exists.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,469 Views)

Multi-axis robot with an appropriate end effector.

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Message 9 of 10
(3,462 Views)
The negative responses should indicate that there isn't a simple cots solution. I do like the robot idea, though.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,452 Views)