LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refnum problem

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm experiencing a weird issue with control references. The refnum is chaning from an actual number to a file path to the control of the refnum. 

I've probed the refnum and it flashes between: (a) 

Class name: Ring
Control label: LPF Select
Refnum (in hex): 0xBB6000E0
Owning VI:  Application Development.lvlib:Applicatiom App Template.vi
C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2010\user.lib\ Application Development\Templates\Application App Template.vi

and (b)

BB6000E0 which is the refnum of the control.

This results in a weird state when I try to use the refnum to change a property node.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,361 Views)

What's the difference between a) and b). Or maybe u expect a difference and don't see it?

We will need a bit more of explanation of what you see, expect to see and not expect to see in order to come up with any idea for you.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 2 of 5
(2,352 Views)

@rolfk wrote:

What's the difference between a) and b). Or maybe u expect a difference and don't see it?

We will need a bit more of explanation of what you see, expect to see and not expect to see in order to come up with any idea for you.

I expected a constant refnum to be produced instead of a refnum and a filepath of the refnum. When I probe the refnum it flashes between the two. I expect to see just a number refering to the control. I'm trying to debug an issue I'm having with a boolean control that I control with this refnum and I thought this phenomenon may be the cause...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,328 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Strokes

A picture would help a lot to explain what you mean. But I have a feeling that you are chasing ghosts here. The refnum seems to stay constant as you expect it to be, and in fact a control refnum always should stay constant for a particular control, since LabVIEW uses static refnums for controls, unlike most other refnums. the extra information displayed by the probe window or whatever could be a bug in the probe window but as long as I don't see what you see, I can't and wouldn't say "bug". Even if the display in the probe window does seem weird, it's very unlikely to be the cause of whatever you are trying to chase down. Since you use refnums (and God forbid maybe the Value property?) I would rather put my money on race conditions caused by this.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 4 of 5
(2,324 Views)

I found a sneaky property node off my screen (don't ask me how it got there..) that was changing the state of my control so problem solved. I do try to wire controls/indicators directly without the use of the Value property node but my seldom it does come in handy.

I know you may not have solved my problem directly but I'm giving credit to you as writing down my problem and hearing others opinions on it tend to spark a new idea with me or at least a new train of thought.

Strokes

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,310 Views)