From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recursive File List returning the input folder path in "All folders" output

Hi,

is there a reason why Recursive File List.vi is returning the input folder path in "All folders" output? I can see in the code that it is added at the beginning but I don't understand why. Documentation specifies that All folders output should contain all the subfolders. I'm asking because I found a bug in one of my programs caused by this unexpected behavior.

Lucian
CLA
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,123 Views)

It isn't documented, so perhaps you could get a CAR from NI to update the documentation - but looking at the code for the VI it starts by adding the current folder to an array containing 'all folders'.

I couldn't explain the reasoning behind why it was done that way (you'd have to ask the guy who wrote it), but I think I can understand why it was done that way - I think it would look a bit weird if it returned files that were in the top level directory without returning the folder that contains them.

For example the output would be:
C:\LabVIEW Working Directory\Testing <----- top level folder
C:\LabVIEW Working Directory\Testing\Level Sensor.zip
C:\LabVIEW Working Directory\Testing\Level Sensor
C:\LabVIEW Working Directory\Testing\Level Sensor\Acquire Level Sensor Data.vi

etc.

I think this makes more sense than:
C:\LabVIEW Working Directory\Testing\Level Sensor.zip
C:\LabVIEW Working Directory\Testing\Level Sensor
C:\LabVIEW Working Directory\Testing\Level Sensor\Acquire Level Sensor Data.vi

If you were displaying the file list in a tree control, you'd probably want the top level folder so that you can add the files within it as a child item.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,103 Views)

I was surprised by your observation, as I've successfully coded a number of recursive "Directory Tree Walking" algorithms, but then I noticed I didn't use Recursive File List, but rather used List Folder, which returns All Files and All Folders within the current Folder.  Put this inside a recursively-called Reentrant VI and you have a Directory Tree Walker.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,083 Views)