LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recording timing waveforms of digital I/O signals in LabVIEW FPGA and RT

Hi,

I am working on a new LabVIEW project and LabVIEW is a new platform for me. I have cRIO 9045, DIO card 9403, LabVIEW FPGA and RT module. Is it possible to record  timing waveforms of digital signals in my present  system or  I need to procure another software module?. Please guide.

Thanks,

Dev

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,220 Views)

Hey Dev2018,

The software you will need for the cRIO 9045 can be found below. 

1. LabVIEW - 2017 to current
  2. LabVIEW FPGA Module - 2017 to current
  3. LabVIEW Real-Time Module -  2017 to current

The software you will need for the NI 9403 depends on how you plan to program your data acquisition within LabVIEW:

• NI-DAQmx - 17.6 to current - for DAQmx API
  • NI CompactRIODevice Drivers December 2017 to Current - for FPGA or Scan Interface Mode

Also, I found the following resource valuable when looking up software compatibility for different cRIO's.

Ryan B.
Technical Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,186 Views)

Thanks Ryan B,

Can you please give me an example to create the digital waveforms in my case. I am trying to  plot digital signal continuously  from an NI 9403 DIO channel in cRIO 9045. I am accessing FPGA DI/O channels in LabVIEW Real time target. Which DAQmx function I can use?. I have tried the inbuilt DAQmx  example "Digital-Continuous Input.vi" but its not working, as I am not able to directly link the 9403 channels with DAQmx because they are configured in FPGA target. Please guide.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,160 Views)

Thanks Ryan B,

Can you please give me an example to create the digital waveforms in my case. I am trying to  plot digital signal continuously  from an NI 9403 DIO channel in cRIO 9045. I am accessing FPGA DI/O channels in LabVIEW Real time target. Which DAQmx function I can use?. I have tried the inbuilt DAQmx  example "Digital-Continuous Input.vi" but its not working, as I am not able to directly link the 9403 channels with DAQmx API's because they are configured in FPGA target. Please guide.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,155 Views)

Hey Dev2018,

If you follow the directions in the Using CompactRIO with the NI-DAQmx API white paper, does that help?

Also, which Programming Mode is your cRIO set in?

Best regards,

Ryan B.
Technical Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,140 Views)

Hi Ryan,

I tried the directions given in  "Using CompactRIO with the NI-DAQmx API" white paper. The problem is that I can't see my channels in Physical Channels Input terminals, as my modules are configured as FPGA target with the programming mode " LabVIEW FPGA". I can see my modules If I change the programming mode to "Real Time DAQmx" (Keeping the modules in FPGA target), but during execution its returning back to LabVIEW FPGA mode. The modules 2 & 3 whose channels data I want to acquire need to configure in FPGA as per my project requirement. You can see the configuration of my modules in the attached picture.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,126 Views)