LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading .raw sound files in Labview

Hi, I have .raw (acoustic signal files) which need to be read and subsequently analysed. The file is about 10 yrs old (in case format has changed). The file is cocverted to idf format in the old system (which we are upgrading). We are not able to read it anyways. Can somebody please help us how we can directly read it in LabVIEW.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,143 Views)

Hi vishal,

as "raw" can be anything you need to know the file/data format to be able to read/convert that file.

And how is IDF related to acoustic data?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,140 Views)

Hi everyone.

I came across a similar situation where I have RAW files and IDF file from which I need to extract the acoustic (meaningful) data. The raw files are generated from LabWindows program and are almost a decade old.

Can anyone guide if we can read it on LabVIEW or LabWindows/ CVI. 

Thanks and Regards

Aditya

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,506 Views)

No we can't! Raw is not a defined format. Instead it simply usually means that the data is binary, 8-bit, 16-bit, 32-bit, or whatever bit per sample, 1, 2, 3, 4 or more channels per scan and with or without an arbitrary header that gives information about sample rate, channel scaling, acquisition date and potentially a myriad of other details.

Without the source code of the program that created these files, or a detailed format description, all you can do is to keep using the existing software and cross your fingers that you will find some hardware in the future that can still run it.

The IDF file is probably not related to the Mentor graphics data format as suggested by Gerd in the earlier message but rather some arbitrarily chosen abbreviation such as "Intermediate Data Format" or "Interchange Data Format". It could also be named BMW for "Big Multiple Waveforms". 😁

What I try to say here is that file endings CAN indicate a certain well known format, but there is absolutely no rule that they have to!

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,502 Views)