LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading data from Zumbach USYS

Solved!
Go to solution

I am looking for a VI or driver to read diameter data from a Zumbach USYS.

We will acquire 5 or fewer readings per second for 5 hours.

Has anyone interfaced with a Zumbach USYS?

The Zumbach does has a  RS 232 port. 

Can I just put a "read rs 232" sub vi in my loop to capture the diameter reading?

Or do I need to create a RS 232 driver to interface with the Zumbach?

Thanks,

Bill

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(6,290 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bill_5335

I have worked with a Zumbach laser diameter sensor in the past, although not that model. The sensor had a very simple serial ASCII protocol which basically just sent the two diameters it measured in a single package. I believe the structure was documented in the material, but if not, you can also just read the data and see how it's structured.

To answer your question - yes, you would just use a VISA read to read the data from the serial port.

(6,287 Views)

I just started experimenting with requesting data and sending commands to it. Read the USYS Host command section of the manual. Basic serial or TCP read/write routines.

Like the Target Systems Inc. laser micromter console, it looks like Zumbach put a low priority on servicing the RS232 end Ethernet communication requests. You should be able to squeeze out 5 readings/second. If I get a chance, I'll post what I have done thus far shortly.

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(6,268 Views)

Thanks,

I appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

Bill

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(6,258 Views)

LV2010 code attached.

Open MAIN.vi in the project. Configure Serial Port Parms as needed to match your device.

The top loop polls for  X and Y Fast diameters for 3 heads and length every second. If a head is not present the error is trapped and data is set to 0. Be cautioned there is a hardcoded path were the data is stored to disk in the SaveRawDataToDisk.vi.

The bottom loop is used to send commands to the Zumbach to change configuration of the instrument, which you probably do not need.

A semaphore is used for the two loops to prevent collisions between requests for data and issuing commands.

Good luck, let me know if you needs some assistance, I am still learning the command set and details of the USYS.

-AK2DM

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(6,257 Views)

Does anyone have any problems with wall thickness measurements with the Zumbach USYS 81000?  It worked fine a week ago when we extruded the same parts.  Now I'm getting intermittent wall readings.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(5,927 Views)

This is a forum about LabVIEW, not about Zumbach equipment. We certainly can't tell what kind of problems you have in your system. Maybe the parts you extruded reflect differently now. Maybe you have dirty lenses. Maybe the communication cable has a bad contact. Maybe your program is bad. Maybe, maybe, maybe.

I would suggest that you start analyzing the system to see where the problem is coming from. For example, if you see the same problem in the meter's display, then you know the problem isn't in the computer. If you think the problem is in the program, you could try looking at the raw communication data, etc.

(5,908 Views)

This is very helpful , thank you!

Are there any settings I have to change on the Zumbach that it works?

Neby2

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,257 Views)

Using Serial RS-232 or Ethernet?

Below are settings to change in the USYS (presuming using COM2 Port of the USYS for RS-232 communications with PC matching the same port configuration):

Under System/Serial Ports:

• COM2: Host Computer #1
  • Handshaking: None
  • Baud: 19200
  • Bits: 8
  • Parity: None
  • Stop: 1

Under Peripheral/Network Settings:

• Host Computer #1:
  • Communications: Serial
  • Protocol: Zumbach ASCII
  • LineFeed Transmission: Off

-AK2DM

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,249 Views)

Thank you!

I am using the RS 232 and LabVIEW 2018.

When I tried out your code, I get an error 1 in the phrase data out vi. Do you know what could be the reason for that?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,235 Views)