LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading and decoding binary packets with serial communication

Solved!
Go to solution

Currently, I have UM7 IMU. I want to read information using serial communication with this device. Data can be read from the device using 2 ways.
1. Way: Reading information from serial using Nmea packets.
Way 2: Reading information from serial using binary packet.
I tried both ways. I read information using Nmea packages, but because it was a bit slow, I decided to read information with the 2nd way. But I have a problem, how can binary packages be read and parsed? The device has documents, but I couldn't understand how to do it exactly.
Can anyone help with this?

Any opinion given is worthy of respect

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 38
(2,335 Views)

If you could upload the document that describes the communications, we can start from there.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 38
(2,307 Views)

So you changed from the XSens sensor to the UM7_IMU? Why that? Ease of protocol can't be the reason, both offer NMEA talk only and a proprietary binary protocol.

As far as serial port communciation goes you have already discovered that there is ASCII and binary communication. And both have their own specific ways of dealing with it. Have you watched this presentation?

https://labviewwiki.org/wiki/VIWeek_2020/Proper_way_to_communicate_over_serial

The protocol is explained in the Datasheet linked on the site the UM7_IMU link points too. It's many pages and covers many messages. The basic structure however is fairly straightforward.

First there are three bytes consisting of the characters 's', 'n', 'p', (arbitrary marker standing for "Start New Packet") followed by a byte that contains the type of package and the number of databytes encoded if any. Then there follows a byte specifying the register address and 0 to 16 4-byte data integers. After that there are two bytes as a 16-bit checksum that is simply the byte sum with carry over of all previous bytes including the header.

Principally the minimum message length is 7 bytes, but can be up to 7+ 4 * 16 bytes. It's not very difficult to put together if you know the difference between byte, character and its ASCII code.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 38
(2,305 Views)

The reason I switched from X-sens to UM7 is because I try to generate labview codes for all the IMUs I have. X-sens has some advantages and disadvantages and now I prefer the UM7 as the way of use has changed. After purchasing the compatible cable of X-sens, my job will be a little easier. Because I have a piece of code created for RS-232.
for UM7;
I looked at the link you suggested, but I don't know exactly how to use it as I can't read a more meaningful package.
I've read the datasheet and have a hard time putting the pieces together.

The protocol is explained in the Datasheet linked on the site the UM7_IMU link points too. It's many pages and covers many messages. The basic structure however is fairly straightforward.

First there are three bytes consisting of the characters 's', 'n', 'p', (arbitrary marker standing for "Start New Packet") followed by a byte that contains the type of package and the number of databytes encoded if any. Then there follows a byte specifying the register address and 0 to 16 4-byte data integers. After that there are two bytes as a 16-bit checksum that is simply the byte sum with carry over of all previous bytes including the header.

What I don't fully understand is this: Do I need to call packet to read any value I want here? Or can I just read directly?
I can see the 's', 'n', 'p' characters when read as strings. I have attached a photo of the output in the picture below.

thanks for your answer

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 38
(2,293 Views)

@constructionworker wrote:

The reason I switched from X-sens to UM7 is because I try to generate labview codes for all the IMUs I have. X-sens has some advantages and disadvantages and now I prefer the UM7 as the way of use has changed. After purchasing the compatible cable of X-sens, my job will be a little easier. Because I have a piece of code created for RS-232.
for UM7;
I looked at the link you suggested, but I don't know exactly how to use it as I can't read a more meaningful package.

Watch the video tutorial I linked to, not once and not twice but several times. Try to understand what Tim tells in there. It is uttermost important that you really understand his points before you wire up even one more LabVIEW wire for this project!!!

A byte is a byte is a byte is a byte! But there are a multitude ways to interpret it. As decimal number, hexadecimal number, binary number, but also as ASCII character according to the ASCII character table (which for more than half of the possible 256 values will show as gibberish like in your image, or as a sort hybrid form, which a LabVIEW string can also display, called backslash escaped mode. Right click on the string control and explore the options under Display Mode. In this backslash mode the string control will display printable ASCII characters as characters and the rest with special codes that start with a backslash. 

What I don't fully understand is this: Do I need to call packet to read any value I want here? Or can I just read directly?
I can see the 's', 'n', 'p' characters when read as strings. I have attached a photo of the output in the picture below.

This is a command response protocol. The device will only send you specific data after you send it a command to return that data. You seem to currently have it in some shout mode where it sends some data continuously. I'm not sure that is how I would want to use such a device, it can overflow your serial port buffer very quickly and you always end up having to resynchronize onto the data stream. That makes writing a driver function much much harder, even though the "snp" string is a fairly easy way to find the start of a message.

Personally I prefer communication where I send a device a command and then will receive a fixed already known number of bytes or packets.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 38
(2,290 Views)

Thanks for the answer. I will watch the video you suggested again.
The device is yelling and saying too much right now. I guess there is no way to reduce it. I was only able to prevent it from sending Nmea packets in its own application. it sends too much data no matter what I do.

When I set the display as code display as you said, an output like the one below appears.

I don't know how to read at least some meaningful information.
Are you saying that I should send something to give me meaningful information?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 38
(2,255 Views)

Check the manual. On page 47 is descripes the CREG_COMM_SETTINGS command which specifies that the 32-bit register has two bits called GPS and SAT which when enabled will cause the device to continuously spit out data whenever the GPS device provides a new GPS position or SAT position. I'm pretty sure you can disable that in the manufacturer software too, to not get spammed with messages from the device while experimenting to communicate with it.

Same for the CREG_COM_RATES1 - CREG_COM_RATES7 which all also configure batch messages being sent automatically. Until you have some basic communication working, you do not want your device to spit out messages on its own and making it hard to test if your communication even works.

But you should be able to also send this packet out yourself to the device with a VISA Write by writing the bytes and afterwards flushing the port to get any still pending bytes from previous device spewage out of the way. As to doing binary device communication, I told you in the other thread, get your caffeine reserves stocked up, and your stress relieve ball ready! You will need it!

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 38
(2,242 Views)

@rolfk wrote:

Check the manual. On page 47 is descripes the CREG_COMM_SETTINGS command which specifies that the 32-bit register has two bits called GPS and SAT which when enabled will cause the device to continuously spit out data whenever the GPS device provides a new GPS position or SAT position. I'm pretty sure you can disable that in the manufacturer software too, to not get spammed with messages from the device while experimenting to communicate with it.

Same for the CREG_COM_RATES1 - CREG_COM_RATES7 which all also configure batch messages being sent automatically. Until you have some basic communication working, you do not want your device to spit out messages on its own and making it hard to test if your communication even works.

In the application created by the factory, I stopped everything in the parameters that correspond to these records. No data came. I activated the repetition in the HEALTH section and the information started to come.Since I don't fully understand the readings at the moment, I assume that the readings are the values in the package ''Health''(time,sats_used,sats_in_view,HDOP,mode,COM,accel,gyro,mag,GPS,res,res,res). There is no way to prevent them.

I continue to work to be able to read this information in a meaningful way.

thanks for the answer

My stocks are always ready.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 38
(2,224 Views)

Well that information certainly can be read. It's just how to get the information out.

If I would have to work on it, my first step would be to disable ANY automatic talk only traffic to not have to bother about finding a package in the incoming data stream. Then I would write a VI to write a package to the device for sending it a command and then one to decode the according response. This way you can concentrate on getting the actual package encoding and decoding right.

Only when that all works satisfactory can you think about going to enable the data spewing again although I would think very hard about that. With the batch message mode you can request a whole bunch of subsequent registers (up to 15) in one single read operation and that may be more than enough for your position and accuracy requirements. It's much easier to send out a command "Give me all the current readings for register 21 to 35" and then decode the according single resulting message, than having to continuously poll the serial port for messages, to try to find the start of the first package, decode it, determine if there is enough data present for one more package and decode that too and so on. And if you keep some data over at the end do we just throw it away or stash it somewhere to prepend to the next bunch of bytes to hopefully get a full package there too?

If you then decide that you do not want a command response request because that is not giving you the desired position update rate, then you can go and enable its automatic chatty mode and then start to bother about trying to make sense of all the incontinent data spewage of the device.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 38
(2,210 Views)

The Speed issue in the NMEA protocol has been resolved. I can read information without noise using Nmea protocol. I can read the package I want. The example is attached below.

But I still want to read information using binary data. I'm really curious about the logic of serial communication.

With the factory's own program, I disabled all but one output that I wanted. It only sends the information I activated, but I did not understand how to solve it somehow.

I don't think it is necessary to send a command to continuously read a desired value. But if a setting is to be made, I think it is necessary to send data.

I couldn't figure out this package situation exactly. It starts with ''SNP'' ok then how can I extract these values from the package.I'm really confused and don't fully understand the situation.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 38
(2,201 Views)