LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading COM port I/O comma delimated data

Let me start by stating I am completely new to LabView. I am using it for an Engineering Design Course in college in order to collect and analize data being sent from a Silicon Laboratories C8051 Micro-Controller. I am currently using a hyperterminal to see the data that the Micro-Controller is sending. Currently I am just using a printf() statement in the micro-controllers code. The settings at the moment are:
Baud Rate - 57600, Data Bits - 8, Parity - None, Stop Bits - 1, Flow Control - 1. So specifically I would like to take this data and just archive it so I can then later plot it. The data coming in is just intergers in comma delimated form. I went to a breif LabView tutorial and the person told me how to use the VISA i/o functions but I didn't have LabView 7.1 until now. Any help on how to set up the COM port and display the data right now like a hyperterminal would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,366 Views)
As always, your best bet is to start by looking at the shipped examples. In LV 7.1 go to the Help menu, select 'Find Examples' and search for Serial. Look at the 'Basic Serial Read Write' example for ideas. You can also look at the various 'write to file' examples.

Hope this helps
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,363 Views)
In the NI Example Finder I went to Hardware I/O -> Serial -> Basic Serial Write and Read.vi and I get an error message over and over and the pop up box says:

"Error -1073807202 occurred at Property Node in VISA Configure Serial Port (Instr).vi->Basic Serial Write and Read.vi

This Error code is undefined, No one has provided a description for this code, or you might have wired a number that is not an error code to the code input."

I tried changing the VISA setup options and at one point instead of 8 instances of the error I got it down to 4 but that was one time only. Does anyone know what this error is talking about?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,356 Views)
You get that error when you don't have VISA installed.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,350 Views)