LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read multiline excel cel (text)

Hi,

I am trying read a excel sheet which has text data and some of them are multi-line cels (entered with ALT+Enter).  How do I read this to a array ... multi-lines cels are seems to be disorganizing the arra...

please advise

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,697 Views)
Please post what you have did so far, so that it will be easy to help you.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,679 Views)
Read this thread and provide your comments if it helps you.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,675 Views)

Hi mathan, thanks for the reply...

here is what I have sofar...(see attached ZIP file).  ZIP contain a VI and a excel file... please select the path to the excel file and run... I have indiacted in the file the format that I like have..

please advise if this can be done.

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,646 Views)

Hai suresh,

How you entered the data in cells B2 and C3?

Is there just a space in between [one three] and [134 145]?

This works for me. Please explain me if it was right?

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,626 Views)

Hi Mathan,

Some cells will have multilines (\n... with the use of ALT+ENTER key stroke).  I belive when I am reading the file the"\n" is creating a problem.  The excel file is created by some other process and I am trying to utlize the file as it is.

onother thought...

can activex used to find the cell range of a workbook... like what is the range of Col and Row that has data.  If I know the cell rage, then I should be able to read data cell by cell and replace any "\n" with some other char.. then I guess I should be able to write to a table.

thanks

//Suresh

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,610 Views)

First off, you are not reading an Excel file. You are reading a text file. That's a big difference. The inclusion of the linefeed means that you have to parse the file manually. The built-in Read From Spreadsheet File will treat the linefeed as a new row. The attached VI is one way you can do this.

You can also read the original Excel file directly, but that requires ActiveX. There are a couple of shipping examples showing you how to use ActiveX with Excel. You can also look over the Excel thread

Message 7 of 9
(3,605 Views)

I actually have a method of reading and writing directly from excel sheets without the activeX.  This includes the 2007 format.

Is this really desired?  I have been joking about selling it for the last year to two.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,477 Views)

So, would you be so kind to provide us the solution?

Pretty please.. 🙂

Regards,

Vedran

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,365 Views)