LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raw Ethernet Packets.

Kind Attn

At present, I have a DUT which is connected to a FPGA board.

To the FPGA board's ethernet internface, I am sending raw ethernet packets from a linux host.

I want to know whether if I use Labview, will I be able to send raw ethernet packets from the linux host?

Thanks & regards

Gopi

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,602 Views)

hi gopi,

If you have labview for linux version,definitely you can do that...you can use TCP/IP functions present in the data communications pallette..But be sure that the program should not burst the data and load the FPGA board,give some between each and every packet for the FPGA board to process...And one more thing i need to tell that here "raw ethernet packet" as some data which you can transmit over ethernet...because in labview you cannot have much control the low level implementations..

Thanks and regards,

srikrishnaNF

Regards,
Srikrishna

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,598 Views)

If you mean raw IP sockets, then no, LabVIEW has no support for that. One of the reasons is that Winsock on Windows didn't have it for a long time, and then they added it in Windows 2000, to cripple it in XP SP2. On Windows only a process with administrative rights can open a raw IP socket.

Even on Linux the process either needs to have an effective uid of 0 (use setuid) or the CAP_NET_RAW capability to be allowed to open raw sockets.

If these limitations are not a problem for you (assumengly you have done it on Linux already so you should know about this issue) then there is a possibility to maybe use raw sockets with a LabVIEW library that I have developed. I posted a trial version of a prelimenary version on lavag.org that implements ICMP functions among other things such as SSL and IPv6 support. 

It is prelimenary and the interface to create raw sockets is not documented yet, but it could be made to support just about any raw IP socket type on the LabVIEW diagram level if necessar.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,556 Views)