From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RS232 NI MAX Communication with BK precision instrument

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I am using 1901B from bk prevision. 

On the "Programming Manual" page 11 shows how to use command set to communicate with the instrument. 

I am trying to use those command from LabVIEW to control the 1901B 

I can see the COM port in my NI MAX but when I give the command code it shows time out error. I checked the configuration as mentioned on the manual and all looks ok. 

Also I try to user Tera Term serial port , once connected I cant see any debug message and I can't type anything in the tera term. 

Can you please let me know what might be the issue. 

Regards,

Vikash 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,674 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author VikashKumar23

You entered " [CR] " which is the manual's way of designating a carriage return.  You literally entered that which means nothing to MAX or the device.  You literally sent the brackets and the letter C and R.

In MAX, enter the command, but type "\r"  (without the quotes).  That is the way MAX and LabVIEW visually show you want to send a single carriage return byte.

Message 2 of 5
(2,656 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author VikashKumar23

Hi Vikash,

when they talk about "[CR]" they don't mean just those 4 characters literally, but the CarriageReturn char aka CR aka 0D (in hex display) aka \r (in \-code display).

See the ASCII definitions!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 3 of 5
(2,654 Views)

so, you mean type something like:

GETD \r

I'm having the same problem, i'm trying to communicate with a BK precision 1900b power supply,

judam12_0-1702332655038.jpeg

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(391 Views)

Hi judam,

@judam12 wrote:

I'm having the same problem, i'm trying to communicate with a BK precision 1900b power supply,

Because you also wrote "GETD[CR]". Did you read my 5 years old comment?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 5 of 5
(378 Views)