LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAD Utility Source Code Help

Anyone familiar with the source code for the RAD Utility?  I'm using LV 2017.  Please help

I'm attempting to modify the RAD tool to automate whether or not it blacklists config files on deployment. We want it to be easy for techs to use it without having to do a bunch of configuration - it should deploy the whole image only on a brand new cRIO, and in every other case the target's config file should be protected (blacklisted). 

My attempt: I built a popup that appears when the user loads or refreshes application images, and you can choose yes or no to overwrite the config file, which then effectively adds the config file to the deployment blacklist. I have set the retrieval blacklist to always be empty (wired an empty array to it) to make the default setting retrieve all of the files on a given target. 

I must be missing something because when I retrieved an image from a target, the config file on the target was deleted (a config file was on the target but completely empty).  

So, is there any way retrieving an image could alter the target files??   

My understanding of blacklists is:

- deployment blacklist specifies files on the image that you don't want deployed on the target 

- retrieval blacklist specifies files on the target that you don't want to gather into an image

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,872 Views)

The Replication and Deployment (RAD) Utility appears to be an unsupported utility provided by the NI Systems Engineering Group, last ported to a LabVIEW 2014 Project.  The source code is provided, along with comments from a handful of users, some of whom reported problems (and possibly fixes).

Have you read the fairly-extensive User Guide?  Have you tried it out?  I suspect you'll need someone with at least CLD skills to attempt to modify this package (unless all of the VIs are very-well documented, which they should be, of course ...)

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,811 Views)

Thank you - do you know if there is a more recent/supported tool that provides the same functionality?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,803 Views)

My understanding of blacklists is:

- deployment blacklist specifies files on the image that you don't want deployed on the target 

- retrieval blacklist specifies files on the target that you don't want to gather into an image

I don't know or at least remember a lot about the RAD code, but your understanding of the blacklists is correct.  They can be used when creating or deployment an image.  When creating an image they "should" only prevent the files from being included in the image.  I would recommend creating a small LV application or start with one of the shipping examples that uses the NI System Configuration API directly and call Create Image with your specified blacklist to double check the API is working as expected.  

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,792 Views)