LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quitting an Application After Launching Asynch VI

Quick question: if a built executable starts an asynchronous call to a long-ish running VI, then the user fully exits the application right after, does the asynchronously called VI just stop mid-execution? I'll attach a photo, just so the Open VI Ref options can be seen:

Spoiler
FireFist-Redhawk_1-1618577475823.png

Redhawk
Test Engineer at Moog Inc.

Saying "Thanks that fixed it" or "Thanks that answers my question" and not giving a Kudo or Marked Solution, is like telling your waiter they did a great job and not leaving a tip. Please, tip your waiters.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(936 Views)

Just exit gracefully and close the ref on app exit and you won't have to ask that question.

Edit:

Or did you want the async VI to keep running after closing?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(897 Views)

I would want the async VI to finish or at least know if it didn't finish. More of a general question so I can plan out how to structure the code.

Redhawk
Test Engineer at Moog Inc.

Saying "Thanks that fixed it" or "Thanks that answers my question" and not giving a Kudo or Marked Solution, is like telling your waiter they did a great job and not leaving a tip. Please, tip your waiters.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(887 Views)

Oh, I get it.  I think just make sure to send the async VI a message to make sure it understands that it should exit so it can exit gracefully.  Using a queue works nicely.  I think it is standard practice to close the VI ref directly after the async call.  It won't close it until after you are done with it.  I'm not an expert at this, but that's what I believe needs to be done.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(885 Views)