From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question related to stopping sub vi loop

I have a Main Vi that calls a DAQ engine sub vi using the asynchronous start and wait methods. My main VI is going to be used to display analog in voltage to a chart as the engine is running. My issue is that I'm not sure how to go about stopping the read portion of my DAQ engine from the main vi. I see that I could use global variables, but where I work they are kind of against using globals. 

Sorry if anything i said is unclear, I am a novice in labview and just looking for some good examples or tips

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 21
(3,358 Views)

Gaffinator,

Just off the top of my head you could use a Functional Global Variable. These are similar to Global variables, but help get rid of race conditions that global variables cause.

You could also use something like an occurrence. These are similar to queues, or notifiers, but are very basic form of these. There is a LabVIEW example of this in the example finder.

Hope this helps!

Message 2 of 21
(3,348 Views)

In general, you should have some type of messaging system to your asynchronous processes.  I tend to use a Queue or User Event for sending messages.  In this case, one of the messages would be "Stop".  In similar situations, I often will have messages for "Start" and "Pause" as well.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 3 of 21
(3,301 Views)

Hey thanks for the reply!

Is there any way you could show me some kind of example for using user events to pass messages to my DAQ engine?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 21
(3,276 Views)

@Gaffinator wrote:

Is there any way you could show me some kind of example for using user events to pass messages to my DAQ engine?

My recommendation is to have a good look at the Delacore Queued Message Handler.  But here is a simple demo I put together for a presentation I have done (saved in LabVIEW 2016).

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 5 of 21
(3,270 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

@Gaffinator wrote:

My recommendation is to have a good look at the Delacore Queued Message Handler.  But here is a simple demo I put together for a presentation I have done (saved in LabVIEW 2016).

I was going to write "But why did you make the Event a String?  And how are you stopping all those loops?", and then I noticed the Stop Event -- very clever, and an illustration one Stop and multiple "effects", a one-to-many communication path.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 21
(3,261 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

I was going to write "But why did you make the Event a String?  And how are you stopping all those loops?", and then I noticed the Stop Event -- very clever, and an illustration one Stop and multiple "effects", a one-to-many communication path.

It is usually short sighted to have a Boolean for a message.  You will later find you need to send more and different messages.  Instead of adding more buses, just reuse the one we already have that I am sure is not being utilized 99% of the time.

As an aside...I often run into people who use the Producer/Consumer and stop the consumer when the queue is empty.  This is BAD because you might be stopping prematurely.  You should have some type of message in your queue to tell the consumer when to stop.  Of course, Bob doesn't have that issue because it is built into Channel Wires.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 21
(3,251 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

As an aside...I often run into people who use the Producer/Consumer and stop the consumer when the queue is empty.  This is BAD because you might be stopping prematurely.  You should have some type of message in your queue to tell the consumer when to stop.  Of course, Bob doesn't have that issue because it is built into Channel Wires.

I agree!  But before there were Channel Wires, there were Queues ...  I've advocated using a Sentinel to stop the Queue, which works very well with Data Queues (where the Queues are Arrays).  When the Producer (which is "running the Show" by Producing the Data) decides to quit, it simply exits its loop and sends one last packet, the Sentinel, consisting of an Empty Array (the Sentinel only needs to be unique, but the Producer should never ordinarily send an Empty Array ...).  The Producer then stops using the Queue.  The Consumer, when it Dequeues, checks for an Empty Array -- when it sees it, it "knows" the Producer is finished and won't be sending any more data, so the Consumer can also exit, and, since the Producer has stopped and the Consumer has just decided to stop, the Consumer can Release the Queue, completely safely.  If there are only the two loops, the Sentinel is a perfectly safe way for the Producer to stop, and "send a signal" to the Consumer to stop.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 21
(3,241 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

@Gaffinator wrote:

+1 for User Events

1 recommendation though, you probably do it already, but when sending string commands I like Case Insensitive Match, so STOP, Stop, StOp, ... will work.

Case insensitive matchCase insensitive matchmcduff

Message 9 of 21
(3,225 Views)

@mcduff wrote:

1 recommendation though, you probably do it already, but when sending string commands I like Case Insensitive Match, so STOP, Stop, StOp, ... will work.

Absolutely.  I abuse that functionality.  Do note you will have a slight performance hit.  But the protection from miscapitalizations is worth it.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 21
(3,213 Views)