From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about using referencing

Greetings All

I am working on someone else's code and came across this part in the VI where the indicators (as shown in red box) are getting updated somehow by referencing. The problem is when I make a property node of any one of the indicators shown in the redbox and try to read the current value it only reads it once when the program starts . Both the indicator and its property node are placed inside the same while loop.

For sure I know that these indicators are getting updated because I can see my graphs going up and down but when I add a property node for one the same graphs and select cursor position and try and get value from it, it only shows the one value where cursor was placed when the VI was started and then never gets updated on moving the cursor.

I think I am missing something over here.

Any ideas.....?????

Ankit

Message Edited by ankit on 06-27-2008 03:43 PM
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(2,919 Views)
From the portion of the code you are showing, it appears they update the values by using references. 

Right click the control(s). At the top you'll have a selection called Find >   Then you'll see all property nodes or locals that either read or right to that control.  You have to be careful that no race conditions are created by that type of programming.   Whoever wrote the code tried to implement it as a text-based language and to create variables and pass by reference...  Unfortunately, that is not how Labview works.  It follows a dataflow, and the wire is the variable.

RayR
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(2,890 Views)

Hi Ankit,

It is very difficult to tell what is going wrong in your VI from the screenshot.

Can you post the VI here?

- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(2,873 Views)

Hey Partha

I am sorry but I will not be able to post the VI as it can get me in trouble.

Thanks & Sorry......

Thanks RayR: I will try what you said......

Ankit

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(2,870 Views)
Now that's geting a bit annoying.. Spammers hijacking threads.. 😠
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,832 Views)
I think the moderators were on leave over the weekend. Smiley Wink
- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(2,791 Views)

You also noticed all the spam... 😉

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(2,766 Views)
For those reading this and not knowing what we were talking about, there was a spam message within this thread.  It was removed. 😉
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,694 Views)
But the 1-star rating on the thread is still there. Looks like that bug is still there, but given the ratings system change that is coming (hopefully soon), it doesn't really much matter. So I ask myself: "Why do I bother mentioning it?". Beats me.
Message 9 of 10
(2,689 Views)
The 1 star rating appears on the spam message.  That seems to indicate that it is not deleted, but rather hidden.. 😉
You get the 5 stars to offset the overall rating of this thread 🙂
Message 10 of 10
(2,671 Views)