LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query device manager device descriptions with usb hub

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi good folks. Got an interesting problem. I would like to grab the device description string like the one device manager lists in my labview program so I can identify devices without using *IDN? because that is not working for me at all.

001ef3b08a9d25217d64d2dd56040fed.png

To complicate matters a little bit more is all the devices are connected to a usb hub and the hub's name is just "Generic Usb Hub". So far I can get the two COM ports my two devices are at but I can't identify them. Now if I could query the device descriptions at the com ports, that would probably be easier, see the second picture.

ded9aacd4e28f81edaf60f0ff08cd0f7.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(1,879 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author crash_override

LabVIEW can't do this natively.  You'll need to find a way to query this through either .NET or the Windows registry.

As a general note, you should avoid USB hubs in general, and USB to serial adapters in general.  If possible, get more expansion cards for your PC to add the ports and you won't have to worry about auto detection because you can program it in once and know it'll remain static.

If you absolutely do have to use them (because you're on a laptop or a PC with no expansion bays), then don't get Prolific adapters. They're horrible for a number of reasons, and if you search around you'll find plenty of complaints.  Find something with a different chip in it.  FTDI is the second most popular and is generally OK.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(1,848 Views)