LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Python

Hi, I am currently working as a programmer in a lab at a university. I was wondering if it is possible to use Python to program/interface with a cRIO instead of LabVIEW and, if so, what steps would be needed to do this. If not, is it possible to use Python within LabVIEW and, if so, would it have any benefits instead of just using LabVIEW itself?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,000 Views)

It is possible to use Python to communicate with an FPGA VI running on a cRIO. However the FPGA VI still must be written and compiled using LabVIEW. You can refer to Can I Use Python to Program a CompactRIO? for more info.

Using Python is going to have much more limited functionality than using LabVIEW. The main benefit to using Python over LabVIEW is that if you are already familiar with Python, you don't have to learn LabVIEW

-Jordan

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(1,949 Views)

Is there any software we need to install to have Python interact with the VI on the cRIO? I've already installed the python nifpga packages from the document. I'm a little confused on how the connection works between Python and the cRIO/LabVIEW.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,924 Views)