LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purpose of filter understanding

Dear community, 

I am a student and I would like to ask a question where in my LabVIEW VI  I've used a 2nd order Lowpass Butterworth filter for filtering signals. I used it because it is the most commonly used/standard filter configuration. And in the results i.e. my waveform charts, I can already see a difference in filtered and unfiltered signals. But my guide would expect me to answer why did I use this filter instead of any other options available. So for that question what should be the proper justification? Thank you in advance. Below are attached pictures of VI.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(808 Views)

The question "What type of Low Pass Filter should I use?" is a question that (I hope) is addressed in a course in Signal Theory taught to Electrical Engineering students.  You might do a Web search to see if, for example, Wikipedia or maybe even NI might have some White Papers discussing the various common filter types and how they change the signal.  Don't ask me -- I'm not an Engineer ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(802 Views)

@FR2012 wrote:

Dear community, 

I am a student and I would like to ask a question where in my LabVIEW VI  I've used a 2nd order Lowpass Butterworth filter for filtering signals. I used it because it is the most commonly used/standard filter configuration. And in the results i.e. my waveform charts, I can already see a difference in filtered and unfiltered signals. But my guide would expect me to answer why did I use this filter instead of any other options available. So for that question what should be the proper justification? Thank you in advance. Below are attached pictures of VI.

Are you asking us to tell you why YOU chose a butterworth filter? That may be a hard question to answer. If you are asking why one would choose a Butterworth over some other filter topology then one might start by asking if you you must implement the filter in the analog or digital domain. 

(793 Views)

A Butterworth filter has a flattest passband response.

Randall Pursley
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(758 Views)

And I consider it to be superior to the Margarineworth filter...

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(744 Views)