cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prompting the user to select a file path to save data to

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

To improve the "user interface" and usability of my VI,  I'd like to have the "select file path" dialogue box appear automatically, rather than have the user click on an icon on the front panel to bring up the file Path dialogue. The "order" of operations would be as follows:

Run VI --> Dialogue asks user for the filename --> VI automatically adds appropriate extension --> The traditional Windows "Save file" dialogue pops up to allow the user to select the appropriate folder to save the file in --> Rest of VI runs.

I've got everything else working apart from getting the save file dialogue to appear automatically. Currently the only way I can do it is to have the user select the folder to save in prior to running via the Front Panel, but would like to remove this step and as soon as they've clicked "OK" on the previous dialogue (asking for filename) have the "Save file/select folder" dialogue appear.

Thanks 🙂 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(8,916 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author thomas_p
I believe you are looking for the File Dialog Express VI. Be sure to post back if that's not what you are looking for.
Adnan Zafar
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Coleman Technologies
Message 2 of 6
(8,914 Views)

Excellent - that's exactly what I was looking for 😄

I somehow missed that one!

Thanks 🙂 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(8,904 Views)

Hi,

Apologies for bumping this old thread but I have an additional question relevant to the File Dialog Express VI.

I have the VI set up to allow choosing of folders only. However when you navigate and select a folder, you cannot click "Save", you have to click the slightly less-intuative "Current Folder" button. How can I remove the 'Current folder' button in the dialog and have the "Save" button perform the action instead, or at least have both buttons do the same?

Thanks for the help!

Edit:

Annoyingly I figured out how to do this a while back but never wrote the method down, and I now can't find the page that told me how to do it!!

Message Edited by thomas_p on 03-19-2010 12:01 PM
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(8,615 Views)

Hi Thomas,

searching for "Browse for folder" results in this thread Smiley Wink

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(8,610 Views)

Hi GerdW,

Thanks for the link, I've had a quick look through that. I'm sure there was way of doing it without downloading anything - just using LV's built-in functions... or am I going crazy?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(8,591 Views)