LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project with built code - sync'd to repo - Labview claims not built when deploying

I have a labview 2014SP1 project that is using revision control (Mercurial). A developer has created a build for the 9064 target and pushed this to the repo. I have updated to this revision and can see that the build exists in the project folder on my local machine. 

When I attempt to deploy Labview tells me the project has not been built. If I right-click on the build specifications and select properties, there is a field called "Local destination directory" and a path listed. The build is located at this path, I've verified that the build files (e.g. rtexe) exist there and have timestamps corresponding to my repository sync. If I build the project myself, Labview is then satisfied when I deploy. Why will Labview not allow me to deploy the build my colleage created?

P.S Inevitably someone will ask why I don't just build on my own...

Answer: my realtime application does not behave properly when I build it versus when my colleage builds it. That's another problem I'm working on in parallel.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,695 Views)

What is the application destination path in the build spec? The exact path.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,678 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

What is the application destination path in the build spec? 

Don't see a field with that exact name but there is 

"Local destination directory" :

C:\Source\AE2\LabVIEW\builds\AE2-9064-Noise and Vibration\AE2-Noise and Vibration\AE2

and 

"Target destination directory":

/home/lvuser/natinst/bin

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,673 Views)

@davegravy2 wrote:

@JÞB wrote:

What is the application destination path in the build spec? 

Don't see a field with that exact name but there is 

"Local destination directory" :

C:\Source\AE2\LabVIEW\builds\AE2-9064-Noise and Vibration\AE2-Noise and Vibration\AE2

and 

"Target destination directory":

/home/lvuser/natinst/bin

The reason I was asking was that often the build path diverges at one of tseveral reasons:

• Source code pulled from repo not at same location on each machine
  • *.aliases file in repo (MyComputer is obviously different on different computers)
  • Build path relative to C:\Users\<User Name>\  (Ugh! that usually involves a "Come to Jesus and get righteous" meeting when different developers develop at different working folders)

You appear to have avoided those.  GOOD!

The next potential pitfalls are: different developers using different values for the LabVIEW.ini token "Seperate Source Code from Compiled Code"  (It is called a "Source Code Repository" so you SHOULD seperate them) but, then forgetting to build from a Source Distribution.   These Source Distros go into SCC too! but, under a "Release" folder and released distributions should not be mucked with by individual developers testing the release.  And, without a source distro the vi Object Cache is not the same on every machine. I suspect that may be you trouble with "it doesn't work when I build it"  Clearing your object cache and mass compiling may help you find out if this pertains to you.

That said, I have had the enviable fortune to avoid multi-developer enviornments where deployment release and testing were not fully formallized in practice and have not really had to think it through from soup to nuts.  I'm sure there are some "Best Practices" KB articles. White Parers and even a presentation or two on ni.com somewhere.  Thankfully I'm not the one with the trouble today so, I'll lazilly sit back and wait for others to share their expertise and tag this thread for futher study when I get into troubleSmiley Happy

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,660 Views)