LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project properties: Separate Compiled code?

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm refactoring some code from LabVIEW 8.5 to LabVIEW 2013 SP1 with the intent of creating an executable with an installer.

I tried to create an executable from my project and when I ran it I got a bunch of Error code 59: The source file's compiled code has been seperated, and this version of LabVIEW does not have access to seperated compiled code. It turns out that for many of the NI RGT and Office toolkit vi's the checkmark is set by default to seperate the compiled code. 

The question is that if I unset the checkmark in the project properties window will this carry over to the subvi's in the project or must I unset the checkmark for every vi used in the project? If I click on the 'Mark Existing Items...' button and set the status to unmarked (the file uses the closed folder glyph) will that perform the needed action of including compiled code for every vi in the project?

Now Using LabVIEW 2019SP1 and TestStand 2019
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,995 Views)

I don't understand this. If the compile code is separated, all LabVIEW needs to do is recompile it and cache the new compiled code locally.

All information neded to compile the code should be there in the VI itself.

Do you have 2013 licenses for all these toolkiits?

(Many times, the existing compiled code (contained in a VI set to not seperate it) is useless and needs to be recompiled anyway, e.g. if opening in a different bitness (32 vs 64bit LabVIEW), different platform (windows, linux, mac) or different LabVIEW version. There is really no good reason to drag it along with the VI. It just increases the size but slows down loading only once.)

Maybe somebody from NI has more insight.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,987 Views)

Yes I'm very confused by this myself. The help files are unclear in my opinion when it comes to the project properties and this subject.

The toolkit are properly licensed.

I really don't understand why these vi's have this set by default to seperate compiled code. For example if I look at the Write JPEG File.vi properties>> general I see that the option is checked and greyed out since the code is locked with a password? 

Could one of our members check that same vi and see if the properties>> general tab has the checkmark in the separate compiled code option to discount me having a installation problem?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,976 Views)

I know NI has been purposefully enabling the "Seperate From Comiled" in all of their VIs.  I use it with ALL of my code since 2012 and have never ran into an issue.

My recommendation for you is to just try to recompile the VIs that are giving you problems.  This can be done with either a mass compile (Tools->Advanced->Mass Compile) or by opening up the VI and holding Ctrl while clicking the run arrow.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,970 Views)

Ok I got this to build and run without errors. 

I think the trick was: Under Project Properties>>Project; uncheck the selection of 'Seperate compiled code from new project items' and then click 'Mark Existing Items'. Then my project was highlighted under the file heading in the table so I clicked on 'Unmark selected items' which set the status in the table to "unmarked". 

Of course I don't remember what that setting was to begin with...ugh.

Thanks for your time Altenbach.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,967 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author GovBob

Thanks for your attention crossrulz. This might have been a combination of errors originally.... another problem I had was that my project was too deep in my file structure and I thought the error 59 was not related...but I did get deeper into a subject I kind of took for granted in the past. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,963 Views)