LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Progress at List Folder function with many files in a folder

Solved!
Go to solution

I use the List Folder function of LabVIEW and want to see the progress because it takes much time (20 sec) to load all the files in an array.

How can i do this?

see ListFolder example.jpg

Kind regards Ben Arts

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,501 Views)

List Folder Details

Note  Front panel controls might not update while the function lists files and folders found in the specified directory. The controls update when the function finishes listing the files and folders.

The above stuff comes from LabVIEW help.

I think this is not possible, unless anyone has someidea on how to do this (WIN32 API maybe?).

-FraggerFox!
Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified TestStand Developer
"What you think today is what you live tomorrow"
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,481 Views)

@Ben Arts wrote:

I use the List Folder function of LabVIEW and want to see the progress because it takes much time (20 sec) to load all the files in an array.

20 seconds?  Wow..  That is a long time.

Can you post your code?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,477 Views)

More importanly, how many files are we talking about here? Is this on a network drive?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,471 Views)

I showed a small picture that's all to do the job.

There are about 3000 files and the folder is a server. Probably that slows down the search. In this case i was looking for a progress for the List Folder to use that in a progress indicator for the user.

Have a nice day, Ben Arts

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,470 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ben_Arts

@Ben Arts wrote:

I showed a small picture that's all to do the job.

There are about 3000 files and the folder is a server.

Well, that would certainly do it, especially since you said it's on a server, hence a network drive.

In this case i was looking for a progress for the List Folder to use that in a progress indicator for the user.

Unfortunately, there is no built-in mechanism for this. Perhaps you can organize the files in such a way that you can get a list of them in "chunks", based on some search pattern. Or perhaps you can organize them in folders so that you dynamically populate the subfolders when a user wants to see what's inside.

Aside: having 3000+ files in a folder is a poor way to orgranize files, especially on a server, as this leads to a massive amount of file I/O and network I/O burden on the server.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,466 Views)