From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programatically Set Up Chart Parameters

1. Is there a way to programatically set up the number of responses that a chart will accommodate? I can set up unwanted of the default 9 reponses as "not visible", but I'd like to set this from a constant that controls other aspects of the program.
  2. Is there a way to programatically set the number of history points on a chart? I know that it is available by right-clicking on a chart, but I'd like to set up several configurable charts with the same number of history points.
  3. What is the minimum number of history points allowable?
  4. What does the software consider "one" point on a multi-value chart? Is it one point per response, or the total number of responses in the history?

Thanks!

Jeff Zola

Jeffrey Zola
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,742 Views)

Lenthy question 🙂

1. LabVIEW will decide '# Plot' in the waveform chart based on the array size. Each row will deside single plot by default.

At run time, if you are changing the '# Rows or plots' LabVIEW will clear the chart and starts the new chart.

hints - 1. Do not change the number of plots, 2. Init the chart with maximum number of plots and 'NaN' constant, 3. Use 'History Data' property node when you are changing the number of plots.

2. There is no way to set the 'History data size' programatically. only option is manual.

3. You can configure the mimimum history lenth is '10'.

4. You can configure the points to be 'Transpose' before plotting. Based on this configuration, one point may go to single plot or multi plot.

Regards,

Yogesh Redemptor

Regards,
Yogesh Redemptor
Message 2 of 7
(2,732 Views)

@Yogesh_Redemptor wrote:

Lenthy question 🙂

1. LabVIEW will decide '# Plot' in the waveform chart based on the array size. Each row will deside single plot by default.

At run time, if you are changing the '# Rows or plots' LabVIEW will clear the chart and starts the new chart.

hints - 1. Do not change the number of plots, 2. Init the chart with maximum number of plots and 'NaN' constant, 3. Use 'History Data' property node when you are changing the number of plots.

2. There is no way to set the 'History data size' programatically. only option is manual.

3. You can configure the mimimum history lenth is '10'.

4. You can configure the points to be 'Transpose' before plotting. Based on this configuration, one point may go to single plot or multi plot.

Regards,

Yogesh Redemptor

Not a lengthy question. Just four non-lengthy ones hastily posted as I packed up my things to leave work for the night! 🙂

I am unable to open your file, as I am using LV2011.

In the example that I have been playing with (and have attached), I have created a graph that plots seven traces of random numbers. Seven happens to match my target application, corresponding to the number of rows in an 8X16 matrix switch minus one.....

I let LabVIEW create the input array for the history, and it always uses 9 elements, regardless of the number of plots enabled in the Properties. When I enable more than nine, it does not plot more than nine traces, however. That is evidently the maximum, although I have not been able to find documentation to support this conclusion. I have created a FOR loop that sets the number of plots desired to be visible, and the remaining ones to not be. Klunky, but it works.

Would anybody else desire the ability to programatically define the history length? I will submit this as a suggestion at some point.

Thanks for your help.

Jeff

Jeffrey Zola
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,712 Views)

You did not set the cluster size of "array to cluster", default is 9. Right-click it and set it to 7.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,710 Views)

Ah. You learn something every day! Smiley Embarassed

But this, also, cannot be programatically set. Smiley Wink

Note to self: Self-paced Core classes!

Jeffrey Zola
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,707 Views)

Clusters can only be resized at edit time. Converting from an array needs a size commitment at edit time :).

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,705 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

Clusters can only be resized at edit time. Converting from an array needs a size commitment at edit time :).

But I am AFRAID OF COMMITMENT!!!!!  Smiley LOL

Jeffrey Zola
Message 7 of 7
(2,703 Views)