cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ProgramFiles at install

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I got two independants applications. They have their own installer with "Destination" configured as below :

ProgramFiles \ MyCompanyName \ ProjectNumberX \

"ProjectNumberX" folder Set as default installation directory.

When installing my two applications i am expecting to get each applications under each ProjectNumberX folders.

When installing app 1 then app 2, ProjectNumber2 is replacing ProjectNumber1 and i can't launch my App1.exe since folder and data as been replaced by App2.exe and its own data.

It seems i can only get one projet installed at one time... How to change that... ?

I tried to set Destination as "ProgramFiles \ ProjectNumberX \" and got same issue...

Any help will be appreciated.

Best Regards

Using LabVIEW 32bits 2016 f5, win 7 64bits

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,882 Views)

I would expect 32-bit LabVIEW Projects to be installed in the 32-bit Program folder, called "Program Files (x86)". 

It is a little confusing when you describe your problem and refer to ProjectNumberX (which, by definition, equals itself).  It would be clearer (if this is what you mean) if you say "ProjectNumber1 goes into ...\ProjectNumber1".

LabVIEW allows (and encourages!) Human-Readable Names -- I recommend something like "Project Gravity Detector" (with spaces, and with a meaningful name).  You can even drop the "Project " prefix.  Remember, you want it to be intuitive to the user (which ProjectNumber1 clearly is not).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,865 Views)

Hello Bob,

In "Destination" Category you create your destination installation folder as [Program Files] which installs your application files in "Program Files (x86)" folder !

I called ProjectNumberX because i don't want to share my projects names... to make myself clearer i got X projects 🙂 and each ones has its own name 🙂

All your remarks weren't answering on the issue. Is it because you my problem is not well explained enough ?

Best Regards.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,859 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Gigi_31

I assume you started with one Installer Build Specification and copied this to get the second Installer Build Specification. Did you generate a new Upgrade Code on the Version Information tab? This code is used by the installer to decide if old software has to be uninstalled. Every project needs its own upgrade code.

Message 4 of 9
(2,854 Views)

OMG

Why does LabVIEW didn't update the Upgrade code by its own... ? That's a bug to my point of view. It should do it by itself with different projects names !

When i got some time off i will send this to LabVIEW Ideas Exchange.

Thank you Ulib 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,841 Views)

Gigi:  I didn't quite understand the problem, didn't realize [Program Files] was a Symbolic Link, and (also) didn't know about Upgrade Codes.  Thanks for Asking the Question and allowing me to learn more about LabVIEW from the Answer.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,825 Views)

@Gigi_31 wrote:

OMG

Why does LabVIEW didn't update the Upgrade code by its own... ? That's a bug to my point of view. It should do it by itself with different projects names !

How would LabVIEW know it is different project names?  You took a project with a valid upgrade code in it, then copied it to a new project name.  LabVIEW opens the project sees a valid upgrade code in it, and assumes it is fine.  How would LabVIEW know you copied it and intend on wanting a new upgrade code?  I've often copied a project and wanted to retain the upgrade code to allow making an installer that would replace an existing one.

If you can propose a better way for LabVIEW to handle this go ahead but I don't see it as a bug, just one of those things we don't pay attention to, or read about when creating an installer.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,815 Views)

Hello Hooovahh,

After your analysis i can only agree with you.

The only thing i can add is the lack of NI documentation about Upgrade code. It is easy to get developper confused about that.

It is not a bug since it brings you more flexibility building installers but you need to know exactly how upgrade code is related to your application.

Exemple : if you copy your project to add some functionnality and rebuild your application, you will lose your previous project installation files whereas changing your project name was done to get two distinct versions of your application. --> need more informations around upgrade code 😉

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,810 Views)

ULib:  So I'd never heard of an Upgrade Code, though I use the Version Tab all the time.  Is this the same as the Version Number?  Oh, silly me, I'm looking at an "Application Build", not an Installer (I don't do very many installers).  Just a second ...

Aha!  Now I understand!

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,807 Views)