LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Serial Communication

Hello all,

I am new to LabVIEW so please pardon my ignorance. I am trying to communicate with a serial port using "Advanced Serial Write and Read.vi". I filled in the required information such as com#, baud rate, etc. A screen shot of this if shown below. The problem is when I run it I get the following error statement:

Error -1073807202 occurred at Property Node (arg 1) in VISA Configure Serial Port (Instr).vi->Advanced Serial Write and Read.vi

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW:  (Hex 0xBFFF009E) VISA or a code library required by VISA could not be located or loaded.  This is usually due to a required driver not being installed on the system.

Do I have to install some specific labview drivers for generic com port communication? I can communicate just fine using some crappy communication software similar to hyperterminal, but I want to do it using LabVIEW. In case it makes a difference, I am using a USB to DB9 converter.

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,758 Views)

That error message is very clear you need NI-VISA to be installed.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,755 Views)

I don't know if you are trying to be snide, but I obviously dont know what a "NI-VISA" is. This is my first attempt to use LabVIEW to communicate with the serial port and I have very limited LabVIEW experience in general.

So, if you don't mind. What is an NI-VISA and how do I find/install it?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,742 Views)

It is a driver that support a variety of instrument control protocols. You can switch from RS-232 serial to TCP/IP to GPIB and not have to change your driver. It can be found on the NI site Support/downloads. It is usually packaged on the CD's with GPIB and some other NI drivers.

Message 4 of 9
(2,739 Views)

NI VISA

-------
Mark Ramsdale
-------
Message 5 of 9
(2,732 Views)

Is this necessary? I don't understand why I can use this hyperterminal equivalent to communicate without all this mess, but LabVIEW can not. All I had to specify for hyperterminal is the baud rate, com port, and the 8N1 setup. Is there a generic LabVIEW comm interface like this?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,731 Views)

VISA is the generic communication interface.

Hyperterminal has serial comm drivers as well.  It just so happens that Hyperterminal is using the serial comm drivers that are built into Windows.  That's why you don't notice them.

If you installed LabVIEW, then you should have installed the drivers that come with it.  It is on a separate DVD.  Obviously you haven't.

Message 7 of 9
(2,724 Views)

OK. That makes sense. Thanks.

I have another question though. If I install these drivers, will I be able to connect with any generic serial device, or does it have to be a specific one on the NI list?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,721 Views)

You'll be able to work with any serial device.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,719 Views)