LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem building application using Report Generation Toolkit, LV 2011

I'm using LabVIEW 2011 under Windows 7.

I tried to use Application Builder to create an executable from a large body of code. One thing the application does is load VIs into a subpanel and run them.

Application Builder created the executable and gave no error message. The built application ran except that it couldn't run any of the dynamic VIs.

I finally succeeded in doing a screen grab on a transient dialog (about 1/10 sec. appearance). The dialog showed an attempt to load <vilib>:\Utility\NIReport.llb\NI_report.lvclass.

In one dynamic VI I commented out the call to the only VI that uses the Report Generation Toolkit (called only from dynamic VIs, all of which call it). Sure enough, when I built the application with that change and ran it, the dynamic VI that didn't invoke the Report Generation Toolkit did successfully load into the subpanel and run.

So, trying to prove to myself that that was the only problem, I wrote a VI that does nothing but load a VI into a subpanel and run it. User can choose one of two VIs: one that doesn't call the Report Generation Toolkit (or do much of anything), and one that does. Both VIs run fine standalone.

The not-much-of-anything VI loaded and ran in the subpanel. The other VI didn't--the same dialog, mentioned above, popped up for 1/10 second or less. Screen grab is attached.

When I included LVClass and NIReport.llb folders in the project (from vi.lib\Utility: Snapshot folders), and "Always Included" those folders (per a suggestion on this forum from a few years ago), the result was the same. The result was also the same when I included either one of those folders but not the other. Likewise it doesn't matter whether I add the dynamic VIs as "Always Included" or not.

Another piece of information that may be pertinent: when adding the NIReport.llb folder, I got a message that it was impossible to add a certain VI that's part of some report-type class, because a VI of that name already existed in the project. Screenshot of that dialog is also attached.

VIs and project file are also attached along with the two screenshots. I hardcoded VI paths, so put everything into C:\Testing if you want to see what the code does--or hack as desired, etc.

I will be deeply grateful for any help! And I apologize in advance if there's already some exact or close-enough solution posted--but I doubt there is. I looked around.

Thanks very much,

mws

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(2,774 Views)

Update: It seems that if the dynamic VI includes any file I/O functions (Write to Text File alone is enough to screw things up), the VI doesn't run in the subpanel. So maybe the problem I'm having isn't related to Report Generation.

However, I'm still not close to a solution....

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(2,738 Views)

Hi mws64,

It's a little hard to understand what's going on.  So the VI that uses Report Generation ran, but you still got the dialog shown in the picture you included?  But normally, the VI's that include Report Generation are not running, and the ones that do not are running?  If you can explain further what is going on, please do.  It can be tough to read so much and understand it completely.

Could you send a picture of how you are setting up your build - included files, etc.?  Also, step-by-step instructions for replicating your issue would be ideal.

Julian R.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(2,680 Views)

Hi, thanks for replying....

I'll give a description of the problem now--hopefully a clear one--and I'll try to reply more fully tomorrow. I thought I included in my original attachment everything necessary for replicating the problem, but maybe something's lacking.

Using LV 2011, Full Development System, under Windows 7:

I build the application from the project file. The build is successful (no errors flagged). I run the application. When I load a dynamic VI (that uses Report Generation Toolkit) into a subpanel, the VI is loaded but is not executable. At the time the VI starts to load, the dialog box (picture attached) is shown.

In fact if I comment out the calls to the Report Generation Toolkit, while still including calls to Advanced File Functions, I get the same behavior.

Evidently LabVIEW can't resolve certain paths in the built application.

I see the same behavior whether or not I include certain classes in the project (see original posting for more details), and whether or not I "Always Include" them while setting up the Applicaiton Builder script.

Dynamic VIs' paths are hardcoded, so there's no issue with stripping the paths the right way, etc.

Again, thanks--I hope this info helps, and I will try to answer more fully tomorrow.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(2,673 Views)

Add this file also when creating application.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kudos are always welcome if you got solution to some extent.

I need my difficulties because they are necessary to enjoy my success.
--Ranjeet
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(2,657 Views)

Ranjeet_Singh: Thanks for the suggestion.

I added all files from that LLB to the project, put them in "Always Include" when creating the build script: No luck. Exactly the same behavior.

Note that I'm already including the folder LVCLass and the folder NIReport.llb in the project (both folders from vi.lib\Utility), and putting them in "Always Include."

Note also that if I comment out all calls to Report Generation functions within my dynamic VI, yet include some calls to functions from the Advanced File Functions palette, my problems are the same. Dynamic VI loads into the subpanel but can't execute.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(2,648 Views)

Hi again,

If you extract all files in the original zip attachment to a folder called C:\Testing on a Windows 7 machine running LV 2011, and then use the build script within the project file to build the application, you can run the application and see what happens. You can also play around with the build parameters, rebuild, run, and see what happens then. You can also open my VIs and see what I'm doing.

The application lets you pick one of two dynamic VIs to run in a subpanel. One VI contains calls both to Report Generation VIs and some functions from the Advanced File Functions palette. The other VI does not.

When you pick the first VI to load and run (the one with the Report Generation and Advanced File Functions calls), it loads into the subpanel but is not executable.

When you pick the second VI to load and run, it does load into the subpanel and execute. So there's nothing wrong with the way I load and run a VI in the subpanel.

In the development environment, the whole thing runs with no problems.

Evidently the built application has problems resolving paths of something called by Report Generation VIs and by the Advanced File Functions I use.

I've done a lot of experimenting and no luck. I've looked in forum archives, etc. etc., for possible solutions. I'm hoping there's some simple solution I've missed.

Thanks very much for any help!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(2,643 Views)

Hi mws64,

It seems "Testing Results Filepath.vi" is missing from the zip file you sent, and I can't run the program as a result.  Could you attach this?  Also, could you post a photo of how you set up your Source Files in your build?

Julian R.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(2,629 Views)

Julian,

Very sorry about that!! Attaching Testing Results FIlepath.vi. That should go into C:\Testing too, of course.

Thanks very much for your assistance.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(2,621 Views)

Hi mws64,

Could you also take a picture of your source files tab in your build?  This way I can be sure I am building the application similarly to you.

Julian R.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(2,606 Views)