LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Probe window causes bad menu placement๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š on other screen

I program with two screens. It would be very nice to work in a mode where my main block diagram is on one screen and the Probe Watch window is on the other. But there is something unhappily mismatched about the sizing of my two screens, and it makes a mess in the following way: if the probe watch window (or any other floating window) is open, it pins the scaling of everything to the screen that the floating window is on. Contextual menus on the other screen appear radically out of place, or even offscreen where they are unusable.

I can fix the problem for the moment by minimizing the Probe Watch window, but pretty soon I'm going to need it back!

Additional observation: if the floating window is split between the two screens, the "good" screen will be whichever one has more than 50% of it. And the portion of the window that is on the other screen will look too large or too small. As I move the window from one screen to the other gradually, there is an abrupt snapping point at which "too large" changes to "normal, and "normal" changes to "too small".

Has anyone found a solution for this problem?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,951 Views)

I've seen that.

I happens when the font size scaling on one monitor is different then the other.  So if one is 100%, and the other is 125%, then things might wind up looking too small on one screen, or too big on the other.  LabVIEW can't handle its windows get divided between different screens with different scaling resolutions.

The solution is to make sure both screens are the same scaling.  I would recommend 100%.

Message 2 of 3
(1,943 Views)

Like RavensFan said, this is due to DPI scaling.

I set both my monitors to 100% and it works out pretty well, although my colleagues all complain about being unable to read my main screen (4k at 100% on maybe 28"?) and I sometimes catch myself leaning towards it to see what's happening if I download "spaghetti code".

The nice flip side is it's really good for putting several VIs side by side and looking at them easily at the same(ish) time, or alternatively viewing very large, oversize block diagrams.

Take care that if you sometimes work on one high resolution monitor (e.g. my work computer's desk main monitor) and other lower resolution screens (my personal laptop, the laptop we have in the lab, etc) then the position you save a VI in relative to the screen can lead to loading them at the edges of the screen on the smaller resolutions.

My understanding is that the VI will always be at least partly on the screen, but it's fairly common for me to find VIs hanging out mostly off screen to the right when I load them on a smaller resolution and didn't make a conscious decision to move them back towards the top-left before saving and closing them on the larger resolution screen.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,878 Views)