From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing from Labview on the DYMO LabelWriter 550

We are using a lot of Dymo LabelWriter 450 (-Turbo and -Dual) printers to print various labels with our own Labview software, we have no problem with this. But now new printer LabelWriter 550 is released by Dymo, old ones are going to be obsoleted.

LW550 seems to be not compatible with LW450.

Are there any way how to print on Dymo LW550 from Labview?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(1,981 Views)

From Dymo:

"For complete information about connecting the LabelWriter SE450 printer to the host computer or
other device, and for information about programming and using the LabelWriter SE450 printer,
refer to the LabelWriter SE450 Technical Reference Guide, available from the Developers Program
page on the DYMO Web site (www.dymo.com)."

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(1,947 Views)

In addition the feedback on the 550 line of products sounds desastrous. It seems the main feature of the 550 is to only print on genuine Dymo labels anymore, with the well proven trick of a chip in the label cartridge that the likes of HP, Lexmark and other big printer manufacturers are also using. Of course anybody thinking it’s just a cheap trick to pressure users into paying more has just.a very dirty mind, 😀

it’s all for the best of the customer who doesn’t appreciate that careful protection from non genuine products that can make your printer explode! 😬

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(1,942 Views)

@rolfk wrote:

In addition the feedback on the 550 line of products sounds desastrous. It seems the main feature of the 550 is to only print on genuine Dymo labels anymore, with the well proven trick of a chip in the label cartridge that the likes of HP, Lexmark and other big printer manufacturers are also using. Of course anybody thinking it’s just a cheap trick to pressure users into paying more has just.a very dirty mind, 😀

it’s all for the best of the customer who doesn’t appreciate that careful protection from non genuine products that can make your printer explode! 😬

That may be exactly the reason for the LW550 - I might have tested it in initial development😉. (Confirming or denying could be a  contractual mistake)

CLD; LabVIEW since 8.0, Currently have LabVIEW 2015 SP1, 2018SP1 & 2020 installed
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(1,909 Views)

Only if you entered in a contract with them. I even declined cookies when visiting their site. 😀

And I can promise to stay away from their products. 😀

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(1,895 Views)

Hello,

Anybody already successfully printed on the Dymo 550 printer with Labview?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(1,071 Views)

Sorry, but would likely refuse to use that product even if the project would get lost to a competitor because of that. There are quite a few other.more userfriendly label printers that do not require “genuine” label cartridges with the additional “benefit” of extra plastic waste. They may cost a little more initially but that’s a lot more honest than the continuous “genuine” tax you pay afterwards. 

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(1,061 Views)