From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Postbox sort

Hi guys!

I read an article quite some time ago about a new search routine. It supposedly worked by coarse sorting items into separate boxes/lists, like a hash table or postal office and then sorting these lists. Adding the sublists together and you'll have a sorted list.

So it's basically a hash table/divide and conquer routine with quick sort on each list.

Now, how can we make this go faster? One big thing i've already done is rebuilding the output in the input array by replacing, at first i build a new array which took noticably longer time.

I have a feeling the memory handler costs alot of time as i in a has(c)h ruse (j/k) decided to make a pretty hash table implementation and thus building an array of clusters of arrays. I would probably gain time by allocating the hash arrays 100 at a time, replace elements instead and use a tracker in the cluster.

Any thoughts?

/Y
Message Edited by Support on 02-28-2010 09:53 AM
G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,010 Views)

Hi Yamaeda,

I made it twice as fast - just by correctly measuring the time Smiley Wink

Hint: use more sequence frames then you would even think of...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,003 Views)

Hi Yamaeda,

another speed up of factor 2 by eliminating unneeded wires... Smiley Wink

Nothing (substantial) changed and a speedup of factor 4 - quite good, eh?

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,001 Views)
Lol, well still 10:1 speeds, not quite what i wished for. 😉

/Y

Qestit Systems
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,000 Views)

Hi Yamaeda,

for me the speed differences vary between 4:1 and 10:1.

There's a big problem (in terms of speed measurement) in your algorithm:

The speed varies very substantial due to different memory allocation needs. You constantly grow a lot of arrays (each bucket may grow in a different manner), making it hard to give a "correct" time for this type of sorting algorithm. It strongly depends on LV-internal memory allocation scheme (and of course of the data to be sorted). An advantage (???) may be that you need (a lot of) smaller chunks of memory for the sorting - but other algorithm do the sorting in place, needing no addtional memory.

Due to the (rather) complex additional layer of intermediate buffers this type of sorting will always suffer from "not perfect" memory allocation schemes. You may pre-allocate the buffers with a reasonable sized array (right now you use an initial empty array) - but then you add the overhead of keeping track of buffer usage...

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,992 Views)

Hi Yamaeda,

some more testing:

For already sorted data your code is ~20 times slower, for reverse sorted data it's ~7 times slower than LV-internal sorting. For random data I "measured" ratios between 4 and 220 - and it has a tendency to produce even more bad numbers then getting better...

Message Edited by GerdW on 02-27-2010 07:13 PM
Best regards,
GerdW

Message 6 of 9
(2,987 Views)

Try it again Gerd, it seems to be quite irregular in speed in my tries, probably due to memory management. For me it's been from 1,5 sec to 17 secs with 1m numbers, with most being about 2,5 sec with the corrected measurement. The removal of these wires didn't do alot of difference. (my previous post landed after your 1st)

Qestit Systems
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,980 Views)
Heh, darn you post fast. 😄

Yeah i've figured the lack of in-placeness is a big letdown with this algorithm, i dont know if it'd worked better in e.g. C.
I guess we're proving what we already knew - It's hard to beat quick sort. It's an interesting idea though.
I'll make a version 2 with some preallocation.

/Y
Message Edited by Yamaeda on 02-27-2010 07:25 PM

Qestit Systems
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,977 Views)
So, preallocated arrays. It's not faster, but alot more consistent in speed.

/Y
Message Edited by Support on 02-28-2010 09:54 AM

Qestit Systems
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,953 Views)