LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possibilities of using Labview for executable DAQ software, PIC programming, etc

We have multiply issues here.  We need to create a data logging and real time viewer for a custom Dynamometer build in which we need to bring in approx 12 sensor inputs through a DAQ card and plot their performance in a software package in house. This would likely not need to be wrote as an executable but would be nice for future expansion of business model.  This system would need to operated in closed loop where sensor data inputs will relate to a programmed output.  In a nutshell, we want to create automatic load sweeps for engines where we need to monitor rpm and such while outputting control to a load valve.  

In another application, we need to create very simple executable software systems to edit variables wrote to a PIC.  I am hoping that Labview has the ability to output and program as needed as well as create the software in an executable for our customers to use with our products.  

We have a good friend running LV 8 so really only plugged around with it a bit but would likely use their seat in the short term for our DAQ and programming software needs. That is of course if it can do all of that.  I would also like to askhow intuitive this program is?  I am rather concerned I will need another degree just to run it.  Learning Catia was NOT an over night deal.  I am hoping the learning curve for LV is better...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(2,664 Views)

asdfs,

LabVIEW is certainly capable of doing what you are trying to do -- acquiring, processing and outputting data is what LabVIEW was created for.

With regards to how easy LabVIEW is to learn it really depends on your background and knowledge.  If you've never programmed before the learning curve is obviously longer since you have to not only learn the LabVIEW tool, but also how to think in computer programming terms.  I would say that you can become productive with LabVIEW much faster than with other programming languages.

If you're already familiar with basic programming (things like loops, arrays and boolean logic) then LabVIEW will be much quicker to pick up. 

Feel free to get in touch with someone from NI directly -- they can help you figure out if LabVIEW will be right for your needs technically and be able to meet your expectations with regards to how much effort you will need to put in.  If learning LabVIEW isn't for you they can also recommend people in your area with the appropriate expertise if getting someone else to the work is an option for you.

Contact NI 

You might also attend a free LabVIEW Hands On session given by your local field engineer - this would give you chance to get your hands on LabVIEW, go through some intro exercises and ask questions to an experienced user.  After 3 hours you'll know if LabVIEW will be right for your application.

Check for seminars in your area 

Regards,

SimonH 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(2,647 Views)

Thanks for the reply.  I did search for a seminar in our area but only found 1 about 3hrs away in June.  I think it indicated a "group meeting", is that right?  I would be most interested to watch a presentation by an experienced developer.  I may also like to seek out someone locally and visit them for an hour or two to directly discuss our projects and take notes.  I am sure our local universities would ofer classes but I think a few hours with someone is all we would need. 

We have experience writing dynamic websites from scratch, programming PICs in language C, among a few others.  I am not sure if this experience is sufficient but I guess we will see.  Upon poking around in LV, I find it rather easy to create and modify an operator panel.  I am sure that is the easy part.  As I understand it, we might create the interface, then "wire" it with our variables. 

I will admit that I like the layout and format of LV.  It seems somewhat intuitive and if it is as easy as any, we might as well stay with it since it seems to be an industry leader with good support.  

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(2,643 Views)
I would also like to ask about writing executable programs that we can provide to our customers for basic PIC variable adjustments. We would need PDA and MAC formats as well.  How in depth is it to create executables wtih LV and creating other formats for other operating systems?  I know PDA would be very helpful for us as well as our customers. 
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(2,628 Views)

Labview can be used to program a PIC controller????  I need more details.  I have an upcoming project where I need to program a PIC to talk SPI to an accelerometer.  The PIC I've chosen has a SPI port built in.  Rather than program the PIC in C or whatever environment is available, I sure would rather do it in Labview.  This will be my first venture into the PIC world.  I would appreciate any help that anyone could give me to get me started.

- tbob

Inventor of the WORM Global
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(2,626 Views)
We were not looking to use Labview to fully program our PICs (not aware if it can be done), but rather edit the proms. 
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(2,619 Views)

I would like to ask if the "developer" package is required to create closed loop systems?  We have 8.0 available to use but not sure if they have the developer package or not.  Is that a deal breaker for PID type systems?  Can someone elaborate on what the differences are? 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(2,590 Views)
There is Base, Full, and Professional with differences noted here. The PID Toolkit is not included with any of them unless you purchased the Developer Suite. If you did, your license should state that. You could probably check with NI and provide them with your serial number and they could check your purchase record.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(2,577 Views)
Thanks.  I asked about the software level and it is professional but I have another friend with it that may indeed have the developer level.  Can PIDs be created without the developer level and PID toolbox? 
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(2,555 Views)
Yes. Have you simply tried opening the example finder and doing a search for 'PID'?
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(2,548 Views)